Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 GMC Yukon Starter Trouble

ProjectXC
07-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Hello,

I just changed my starter and bat., the new parts worked twice and now when the starter engages I only hear a click like the starter is trying but not cranking, I have contacted the GMC dealer here in town and they don't even know why it is...the starter is new and works there is enough power I tried to crank it while it was being jumped, I have removed and re-installed the starter. If anybody has any idea's I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks A Lot,
Tyler

P.S.
I've already tried the hammer aproach.;-)

ProjectXC
07-13-2004, 07:20 PM
ok update:
I pulled out the starter again and reconnected the power cable and put it back in...magically it started up...i let it idle for about 1-2min trying to charge the battery a little pulled it forward more into my driveway, then shut it off to make sure it was fixed...now it wont start again...?

lodownlv
08-12-2004, 02:59 AM
i had the same problem i found it to be 3 diffrent things. this is what i did to correct them. first i returned the rebuilted starter and got a new one for a little more then i got a new wire from the starter to the batery. then i changed to top post batery terminals. then i got a high cranking diehard gold batery. i barley turn the key now and that bad boy starts right up!

08-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I have been reading all the posts (i.e.) Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon and someone that had your same problem reported that it was a bad batter connection in the + battery post. You have two heavy wires with a spacer between the two and that is where it gets dirty and does not make a good connection. Try cleaning all the parts and see if that helps. Make sure that the bolt and spacer is the right ones because they come in differ sizes. Try searching the other post for other ideas. Dave

ProjectXC
08-13-2004, 02:40 AM
Thanks Everybody, I took it to a shop finaly and yes it was the Positive Power cable that runs directly from the battery to the starter, hope this could have been some help to somebody else also.

Tyler

Add your comment to this topic!