Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Malibu Classic vs 2004 Malibu LT

classicsnw
07-13-2004, 02:25 PM
While waiting for the power steering re-repair we are driving a 2004 Malibu Classic (seems to be same as a 2003). If I compare the two:

Well... the Classic has 4 tires and the ride is a little softer but that's about all that compares....................

Wife says: "I want my Malibu back but after reading some of the really scary stories about the PS failures at freeway speeds................ I want it back FIXED"...........

wpbharry
07-13-2004, 03:20 PM
The Classic only comes with the Ecotec 2.2L 4-cylinder. I'm surprised that you haven't noticed a drastic difference in power.

To me, the Classic looks positively ancient now that I'm used to seeing my Maxx in the driveway.

classicsnw
07-13-2004, 03:46 PM
You mistunderstood (or perhaps I mis stated)... The only things which could be compared are the 4 tires and a similar ride. All else is entirely a different car. The Classic is a "dog" by comparison.

DMaxx
07-17-2004, 01:54 PM
I've not ever been in a Malibu before we purchased our Maxx LT, so I don't have anything to compare between old and new. I can say that compared to most chevy cars I can remember having been in, the Maxx is completely different. If that Chevy bowtie wasn't on it I would never guess they made it. After 1100 miles, I'm still waiting for a problem to show up.

classicsnw
07-17-2004, 05:54 PM
I've not ever been in a Malibu before we purchased our Maxx LT, so I don't have anything to compare between old and new. I can say that compared to most chevy cars I can remember having been in, the Maxx is completely different. If that Chevy bowtie wasn't on it I would never guess they made it. After 1100 miles, I'm still waiting for a problem to show up.

From what I understand they are not really Chevys. They are built on a Europenan Epsilon chassis (about the same as the Saab 9-3). The parts are assembled in Kansas and I guess that is where they install the bow tie... Anyhow, our LT is still in the shop with the new (again) steering column assembly undergoing "tests"................ As far as I am concerned, it's three strikes and it's out! The count is 0-2 at this time.

I just cannot allow my wife to drive this car with defective steering...

Alex

DMaxx
07-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Sounds like a dealer problem to me. Yes, the problem is real for those who experience it... but any reputable dealer could have it fixed the first time. We live in Southern California where dealers are many... we have many good ones.
I sincerely hope you can get this resolved once and for all. I wouldn't want my wife driving it either.

classicsnw
07-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Sounds like a dealer problem to me. Yes, the problem is real for those who experience it... but any reputable dealer could have it fixed the first time. We live in Southern California where dealers are many... we have many good ones.
I sincerely hope you can get this resolved once and for all. I wouldn't want my wife driving it either.

I'll let you know how it goes. Alex

wpbharry
07-18-2004, 09:38 AM
Mine (now just over 500 miles) is going in tomorrow morning for 2 days. Fuel guage solution is that I'll need a new guage cluster, and that's a big job. Also having the TSB for trannie whine fixed. Plan to report the sunshade mess, since the "fix" isn't a "fix", after all.

Let you know how I fared later in the week. Have been dealing with this dealer since 11/95, so I'm a "preferred" customer. We'll see.....

classicsnw
08-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Mine (now just over 500 miles) is going in tomorrow morning for 2 days. Fuel guage solution is that I'll need a new guage cluster, and that's a big job. Also having the TSB for trannie whine fixed. Plan to report the sunshade mess, since the "fix" isn't a "fix", after all.

Let you know how I fared later in the week. Have been dealing with this dealer since 11/95, so I'm a "preferred" customer. We'll see.....

Well, I have it back and it drives great (of course it always does until it fails).......... Got a questionaire from National Traffic Safety people wanting to know about the problem. I gave them honest answers! Also a questionaire from GM......... At least they are aware.

Alex

wpbharry
08-07-2004, 05:52 AM
Hope it lasts. Mine has been, um, interesting. Dealer says that everyone with '04 Malibus/Maxxes is pretty happy, but there are a ton of "quirks". You have this, you don't have that...

Sunshades, a mess. Brake problems, I don't have, widely reported elsewhere. Trannie whine, they won't fix until it fails, but mine is OK at the moment. Fuel gage issue, don't ask. Now the DIC is flashing "Check Gas Cap" INCESSANTLY, and the dealer's Service Dept. is on Mars.

First they ordered a new sending unit, which due to Fairfax OT, they haven't gotten around to supplying, then a possible PCM issue, and on and on. It's not a gage cluster issue, for sure. And it's more widespread than I knew. Rather common, actually.

But, the car drives fine and is reliable, as long as I overlook the weirdo fuel gage and the DIC.

Add your comment to this topic!