Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

"I need NAWS I need NAWS!!! (seriously, safe use of Nitrous)

Dustin_S
01-29-2002, 01:21 PM
I was looking at getting a Nitrous Kit for My car, and I want to be sure I don't blow Myself up. I've been reading some internet texts, but that's only cause I couldn't get to AF, and I thought it best to ask you guys. Thanks in advance for any tips!

(Oh, I do already know I should make sure my engine/Tranny and such can handle the sudden power- I'm going to get those in good shape first)

SaabJohan
01-29-2002, 05:22 PM
N20 is safe both for you and your engine if right handled.

Don't forget that the use of N2O cost a few bucks, a few runs and the tube is empty.

Dustin_S
01-29-2002, 09:40 PM
Yeah, the Safe Handling part is where I'm lacking.

Me- "I want a Custom Nitrous bottle with a built in Ash tray"

Salesman- "Sir, I must point out that it would incredibly unsafe"

Me- ":mad: don't make me get my gun:mad:"

texan
01-30-2002, 12:08 AM
The first step in selecting a nitrous system is figuring out how much extra power you would realisitically like to make. So, how much extra power are you looking for, assuming you don't want to rebuild the motor for heavy nitrous use?

Dustin_S
01-30-2002, 12:51 AM
well, so far My plans would enable my engine/transmission to handle about 360 horsepower, so I suppose nothing TOO major in the Nitrous department...maybe...a 20 to 30 Horsepower Gain? Like I said, i know NOTHING about Nitrous. that's why I'm asking you guys. :)

thanks for the help- I hope I'm not to Troublesome a student!

SaabJohan
01-30-2002, 10:54 AM
20-30 hp is easy to fix.

N2O can't burn, so there is no danger for that. But the tube itself can explode if it gets too hot. N2O is toxic so be careful.

When you use N2O your engine will need more fuel. This can be delivered by an extra injector or by increased fuel pressure.
The easiest way is by increase the fuelpressure. This is done by a special pressure regulator. If you buy a kit this is probably included. When you turn on the gas it will give increase the pressure which will give the engine more fuel.
This is what needed:
tube with nitrous
solenoid valves
switch
nozzle and lining
fuel pressure regulator

The gas can also be connected so that when you have turn on the gas it only comes when you give full throttle.

Dustin_S
01-31-2002, 02:12 PM
excellent. Thanks for the help, man. I won't be installing it myself (too many things could go wrong) but I'll DEFINATELY be using it. :)

Apoks
02-03-2002, 04:45 PM
This is Kinda on subject but does anyone know a site that sells those Kits? I'd like to get one to suprise my friends when we meet up for our next race :sun: . Is it hard to find a machanic that knows how to install it.

texan
02-03-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Apoks
This is Kinda on subject but does anyone know a site that sells those Kits? I'd like to get one to suprise my friends when we meet up for our next race :sun: . Is it hard to find a machanic that knows how to install it.

What car do you have? Any old kit won't just fit any old car.

Apoks
02-03-2002, 08:46 PM
Nevermind I found one, www.highpower.freeserve.co.uk . Has what I wanted.

Add your comment to this topic!