Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Rodeo hard shifting tranny

Mikeybat
07-13-2004, 12:32 PM
In the last few days my wife '99 Rodeo V6/auto starting to shift hard between first and second during acceleration and de-acceleration intermittently. I checked the usual suspect, the battery since it did it before just before the battery died. The battery checked out fine and so did the charging system. Today the tranny did it all the time, so I disconnected the battery for a few minutes to clear the computers memory, and now it's shifts fine.
Anyone have a clue in why this happens or is it just one of those freak computer glitches.

MikeyBat

amigo-2k
07-13-2004, 01:00 PM
I think this was from this site:

faulty range sensor?
I've had a problem with hard shifting on-and-off for over a year. It usually happens only in the morning, and is always after the dash light fails to indicate that the truck is in drive. I had the codes read at a dealer last June, and got back a P0705 code. Is this the range sensor malfunction? If so, any recommendations on what needs to be done and where to get it looked at?

I had the same problem with my 99 Passport. I was able to remove my range sensor, take it apart and clean the contacts inside. I remember it was quite dirty and greasy inside. I think they used too much dielectric grease in it, but the contacts were definitely dirty so I cleaned them reassembled it and I have never had the problem come back. The unit is located on the side of the transmission (drivers side) just forward of center. It's been well over a year since I fixed it, but if I remember right to remove it there was a small metal shield that pops off. Then I had to remove 2 bolts and 1 nut that holds the shifter arm and unplug the wire harness (the wire harness was a little difficult to unplug due to the tight space) and the unit will just slide right out. You will need a torx driver to take apart the unit. I wiped most of the grease out of mine; I left some of the grease there so things will slide properly and to keep moisture out. Depending on how dirty the contacts are you can clean them with a pencil eraser or a very, very fine sand paper. Don't spend the 90+ dollars for a new one this is a fairly easy fix, once you see the inside you won't think it's worth the price tag! It should take you about 45-60 min to repair.

Mikeybat
07-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the update. I will take a look at the range sensor this weekend.

MikeyBat

2eyefishclaw
07-13-2004, 06:31 PM
you may also want to make sure tranny is not leaking if its low on fluid it will do this
they have a problem with the acuumulator cover leaking

Mikeybat
07-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Well, wife called today and said the tranny is acting up again. She did mentioned that it does it at part throttle right around 2k RPMs. Now I'm wondering if it's the TPS sensor.
I had the tranny serviced about 2k miles ago and no signs of leaks, but I will check the fluid level.

MikeyBat

amigo-2k
07-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Mine too was shifting ruff, at about 2000 rpm, going about 52-62 MPH. They hooked up the scan tool and said it was a missfire caused my a leaky intake manafold gasket.

Mikeybat
07-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Hmmm. The tranny only shifts rough from 1st to 2nd and back down. She said it's around 15mph or so.
I will do the carb cleaner trick to test the intake manifold gasket. If that's not it I will take it to the dealer tomorrow. I have until the 24th before the warranty runs out.

Thanks for the inputs.

MikeyBat

Mikeybat
07-16-2004, 07:59 AM
Good call guys.

Yesterday evening I checked out the Rodeo. Did the carb spray around the intake manifold gasket and the idle was rock steady. Apparently no leaks there. Then I check the range sensor. I noticed shifting from N to D the P would light up for a moment. Also theres around a 1/2 second delay with the shift quadrant indicator light. So I removed and opened up the range sensor to find the lithium grease was dried. So I cleaned up the wipers and contacts. I used high temp dielectric grease on the contacts.
I drove it last night and this morning and the tranny is shifting fine now.

Thanks

MikeyBat

Guy B. Young II
08-19-2004, 02:55 PM
My daughter, who is out of town, has a 1999 Rodeo and she called at noon to say hers just started shifting hard 1st. to 2nd. (was fine this morning). I'm sure she didn't notice any indicator malfunctions, but so I can tell her what to look for, I assume the gear position lights are on the dash (where the "P" momentarily came on? Where is the 'shift quadrant indicator light' that was also mentioned?

TIA

Guy
Richmond, VA

amigo-2k
08-19-2004, 03:56 PM
look at the dash lights while pulling the stick though the gears

Guy B. Young II
08-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Thank you. That's what I thunked.

I talked to her a little later to pass along what to look for, and she said the car drove perfectly when she ran out to do an errand.

She'll be coming home tomorrow so I'll take a look-see at the switch and clean it up as necessary.

Thanks again.

Guy

look at the dash lights while pulling the stick though the gears

D|2Gonzo
08-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Sounds just like my Rodeo. I just bought it two days ago and everything was working fine. Then today I was driving it to the store, and when it shifts from 1st to 2nd it's really rough. I'd hate to spend money on it after spending so much purchusing it. I hope one of these fixes work.
BTW whats the word on ur daughters Rodeo Guy?

Jim01
10-03-2004, 01:06 PM
I think this was from this site:
THanks Folks!
I have had this problem for a few weeks now....
After reading your posts on this problem, I decided to pull the range sensor and take a look....<G> cleaned it up, and my problem is solved!
I appreciate the help all!

Jim.

bpietrus
09-14-2005, 07:32 AM
THanks Folks!
I have had this problem for a few weeks now....
After reading your posts on this problem, I decided to pull the range sensor and take a look....<G> cleaned it up, and my problem is solved!
I appreciate the help all!

Jim.

I'm trying to find out what the range sensor looks like, from the forum I have an idea where it's located but when you look on the tranny there is a few little metal covers with a harness plug going into it?
How can I determine which one it is ? I have a 1998 Rodeo.
thanx
Ben

rodeo02
09-14-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm trying to find out what the range sensor looks like, from the forum I have an idea where it's located but when you look on the tranny there is a few little metal covers with a harness plug going into it?
How can I determine which one it is ? I have a 1998 Rodeo.
thanx
Ben

It's attached to the shift arm/shaft, sticking out the driver's side of the trans, right about under driver. Trace where the shift cable goes, thats the TRS.
G/luck
Joel

bpietrus
09-15-2005, 09:05 AM
It's attached to the shift arm/shaft, sticking out the driver's side of the trans, right about under driver. Trace where the shift cable goes, thats the TRS.
G/luck
Joel

Thanx for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!