Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Automatic Tranmission Service

bcopeland
07-13-2004, 11:22 AM
I was advised by my dealership that if you change the transmission fluid after 140,000 miles and it has never been changed before that you will have transmission problems. Is this true? Also, I was advised that a fluid flush takes care of needing a filter. Is that also true? I was always taught that you should change the filter when changing fluid. Please advise. Thanks.

Black92LudeSI
07-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Yes, changing the fluid at high miles can be an issue if never changed. Inspect the color of the fluid, it should be a reddish, clearish, pinkish color. IF it has never been changed than it is thin, and brown. Metal fillings can build up in this fluid and when the fluid is changed it floods the transmission. That is what happened to a family members car. The easiest flush that some places do is where they circulate new fluid through the transmission. The force of the fluid through the trans removes particles from the filter. Old fluid is completely flushed out while new fluid remains. Nothing is removed or changed besides the fluid when this is done. I had this done and it works well. I had this done in my prelude at 28,000 miles. Hope this helps

GMMerlin
07-13-2004, 11:31 AM
This is a tough one...
More times then most, If a customer has never seviced the trans and then decides to do it at a high mileage, most likely it will be back within a couple weeks for repairs....especially with a flush.
believe it or not, the particles suspended in the old fluid is the only thing keeping the trans in working order...flushing the trans and replacing the filter cleans out these suspended particles and the trans will begin to slip...
For proper operation, your trans should be serviced at the intervals specified by the manufactor.
Proper maintenance will keep everything in proper operating order.
Personally I am not a big fan of trans flushes especially after about 80k.

denalio34ceo
07-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Engine flushes and transmission flushes are another way to squeeze money out of you. Mechanics know it and the dealers know it. Flushes are bad news.

Black92LudeSI
07-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Engine flushes may be a waste of money but tranmission flushes on auto transmissions are worth it if the car has it changed regulary. Black thin transmission fluid cannot be good. The fluid breaks down over time and cannot withstand the heat. Regular changes every 20,000 -30,000 add to the longetivity of the trans.

pinnacle
07-16-2004, 06:02 AM
I would like to hear from you trans guys. See my post on 7/10/04. subject- Transmission Fluid Change posted by - pinnacle

Thanks

bcopeland
07-20-2004, 07:58 AM
Under what category?

LOBSENZA
04-06-2005, 10:04 PM
I am planning to change the transmission fluid in my 2001 Yukon XL Denali and wanted to use full synthetic fluid. Which brand(s) do you recommend? I am planning to drop the pan for the fluid change and change the filter. I know this only changes a portion of the fluid. Will it hurt to mix synthetic with what they put in at the factory?

Add your comment to this topic!