Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C Problem 1990 Pickup

dgadgetman
07-13-2004, 07:12 AM
Last summer I converted over to 134 refrigerant and replaced everything except the compressor on my 4x4. It has the 22re engine, 5 speed and it blows icicles when its above idle, but at idle it blows only warm to hot air. Has anyone had this happen, or know a solution?

gator2764
07-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Is the electric fan running while at idle? The A/C system needs air blowing across it to work properly.

dgadgetman
07-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Is the electric fan running while at idle? The A/C system needs air blowing across it to work properly.

Yes the fan works fine. It only blows warm air when it is at idle. The system shows that it is fully charged with refrigerant.

gator2764
07-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Yes the fan works fine. It only blows warm air when it is at idle. The system shows that it is fully charged with refrigerant.

The only way to know for sure if it is fully charged is to have the 134 vacumed all of the way out and have the correct amount (example of 1.75 pounds) pumped back in. If you know someone at a shop who is a really good friend have him do that.

dgadgetman
07-13-2004, 03:40 PM
The only way to know for sure if it is fully charged is to have the 134 vacumed all of the way out and have the correct amount (example of 1.75 pounds) pumped back in. If you know someone at a shop who is a really good friend have him do that.

That was done the first time and they checked it last week and it showing a good charge.

skinneep
12-12-2004, 06:27 PM
That was done the first time and they checked it last week and it showing a good charge.

I have a 90 22-r truck. I have not converted over, but I have the exact same problem. Very cold when driving, but in idle I hear the compressor kick off. I have been told the same thing about the charge as well. But mine was fine. The other thing you can look into is the voltage that the a/c clutch is getting. I am sorry if I am a little vague with the info. But I was told something along those lines. I tried replacing the idle air control valve and that did not fix the problem. Hope I have been of some help.

Add your comment to this topic!