Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine cranks, but doesn't start

michaelnac
07-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Hi,
I have a 1993 Integra LS, 159k miles AT. For the last couple weeks I had troubles with starting the car. In the process I have replaced the starter, and the distributor. The battery, spark plugs, and wires are good. It seems like it doesn't want to start after I drive the car for couple hours(stop and go). Today i had troubles again. The engine would crank, but wouldn't start. After 10 minutes it did start, but the S3(auto sport shift) light was flashing. when I drove the car seemed like it was running on only three cylinders(very weak). I drove it a little, then stopped, after 5 minutes it started and ran just fine. My head gasket is leaking a little, could that cause the problem?, flooded engine?, I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump? any thoughts? I don't want to keep throwing money on more parts without knowing the cause...

Michael.

abrammicah
07-13-2004, 08:18 AM
I had a similar issue once, but I just bought a new motor all together. I know you don't want to do that...I wish I hadn't. I was told that it was a bad head gasket. I was also told, by another source, that there's no way it was a head gasket. Maybe fix the gasket, since you know it's bad, and see if that does it. My other guess would have been the same as yours...fuel pump. Good luck man.

knorwj
07-13-2004, 09:19 AM
hmm, are you loosing coolant? is it overheating?

If you know the head gasket is bad I would start there. that can cause major problems down the line.

integralover
07-13-2004, 11:33 AM
i would deffinately start with the head gasket. if it is bad you could be leaking coolant, oil, or loosing compression in that one cylinder. i don't think its the fuel pumps fault. get that gasket replaced

michaelnac
07-14-2004, 12:17 AM
Replaced the valve cover gasket today, hopefully solves the problem. No problems starting the car, yet...

integralover
07-14-2004, 03:23 AM
valve cover gasket or head gasket? the valve cover gasket won't give you those problems. if you have any questions on how to do the head gasket just ask. i have done three of them, and know a few tricks to make it easier.

michaelnac
07-16-2004, 11:35 AM
I think the ECU is the problem. When the car does start it doesn't run on 3 cylinders as i thought. The AT shifts into 4th gear right away, and stays there until i restart the car(that's why it feels so weak). The ECU is what controls the transmission, and it probably doesn't send spark when i try to start it. I read on carpoint.com that ecu is a common problem for 1990-1992 integras. mine is 1993 but was produced October 1992. So I bought a used ECU with 90,000 miles from an 93 AT teg of ebay for 50$.
Michael.

integralover
07-18-2004, 02:22 AM
let us know how it goes.:bigthumb:

Add your comment to this topic!