Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear tail shaft(yolk?) keeps snapping, 95 yukon

Toahk
07-12-2004, 11:45 PM
Hmm I don't really know how to explain this as its information my sister told me over the phone about her truck. Its a 1995 Yukon with a 350 engine, 4x4 automatic. Well I guess her rear tail shaft(piece of metal that covers where driveline comes out of ) (yolk?) that attaches to the transfer case has snapped off 2 times, and it just recently cracked again. They have replaced the part 2 times, and now they have to replace it again. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening, could the transfer case cause this? Im assuming there must be a deeper problem as I don't think this would happen 3 times within a year. The truck isnt driven hard, about 99% easy road driving, so I doubt its because of abuse. If anyone has any idea on this please reply. I can get more information I just need to know the questions to ask her about the problem. Im a car guy (nissan 240sx) so im not too familiar with the truck and or 4x4 world. Thanks in advance.

GMCTech
07-13-2004, 05:34 AM
I'm betting that they are not replacing the driveshaft assembly, just the yoke.

Get the driveshaft balanced or replaced. Most likely you have an unbalanced driveshaft.

Hope this helps.

ProjectXC
07-13-2004, 07:23 PM
does the truck have a lift on it? if so the increased angle of the driveshaft puts a lot more stress on the yoke if yes then you need to change the angle of all of that, if no: disregard

Toahk
07-13-2004, 07:56 PM
It has a brand new driveshaft/driveline, yolk and tail shaft as of a few weeks ago. Also it has new ujoints, any other opinions on what could be the problem?

Add your comment to this topic!