Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission in 97 Ram

LTJGWorth
07-12-2004, 11:34 PM
I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 5.9L 1500 ext cab 2WD with an automatic transmission (as many of you know[I have posted on this problem before]) and the transmission doesn't go into reverse unless you push in on the gas and get about 2000 RPMs and when it shifts into reverse it shifts very hard and suddenly. This only happens after the truck has set for more then a few hours. Also, it won't shift out of second gear unless I run it in second gear for a while or floor the gas and it shifts out just before redlining and hitting the 100 MPH mark. The transmission doesn't grind at all and it runs as smooth as silk after I drive it for a while. Reverse works perfect after it has been running and all the gears shift smoothly. I have had the fluid changed as well as the filter and still the same problem. I have figured it to be a flow problem and have found this part: http://217.160.244.240/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_98_104&products_id=292
The problem this part claims to fix seems to be the same as mine and I am wondering if this will work and if I can install it myself. If I can install it myself, how would I go about doing it? Thanks for all the help

BleedDodge
07-13-2004, 01:13 AM
I would definitely try it. I mean I would definitely buy it and install it myself and see if I could get results. Try it man, the transmission is already messed up; what do you got to lose?

I got a standard truck just because of all the horror stories of the Dodge automatics. I should have actually bought an automatic truck, as from what I can tell from my grandfather's 1995 Dodge 318/auto, he's never had transmission trouble, and never changed transmission fluid. It's at 125k miles now, and still running the way it should.

LTJGWorth
07-13-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks. I really need to get this fixed because it's annoying the crap out of me. Do you think it would be a difficult install. Oh and I have about 111k on mine and the tranny has been rebuilt once.

BleedDodge
07-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Nothing is difficult for me anymore. Or maybe it just doesn't bother me. If you don't feel confident doing it, find a friend who can, or hire someone to do it for you.

Do you pull a lot with this truck? Did you buy it brand new?

LTJGWorth
07-13-2004, 10:15 PM
I have a boat thats pretty heavy and have towed that before, but I don't tow anything at the moment. I also have horses and am planning on getting a trailer soon so the truck will be doing that. Right now all the truck hauls is 800 lbs worth of hay. And the truck was purchased in 2002 with a rebuilt title. May not sound like something most people would do, but my cousin owns (and has owned it for about 30 years) his own junk yard(s) and shop and they do anything from insurance work to engine modifications. So I wasn't cheated on the truck. Considering it has been wrecked 2 times (once by who ever had it before me and once by my mother) its in pretty good shape and I haven't had that many problems with it.

Add your comment to this topic!