Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C Problems on 94', Please help!!!

Prew
07-12-2004, 10:16 PM
My problem is this. When the A/C is on, it just doesn't seem to blow out much air, even when it is on "max". The blower motor is brand new and the system was fully charged. Has any one else had this same problem? Thanks for your replies! It's hot in KC.

Rbraczyk
07-12-2004, 11:23 PM
May be a fan.

Thunderbolt
07-13-2004, 08:08 AM
If you are saying that the air flow is low and you have a new fan then your evaporator fins may be plugged. Is the actual air flow bad ? Is it better with the air off ?? Sometimes the evaporators have a small leak and get coated with compressor oil. When this happens the fins on the evap. get plugged with dust and reduce air flow. This could be one reason you had to recharge it. The other scenario is when using the air A/C you shoould turn it off and drive with fresh air coming in so it can help dry the evap. before you park. After years of parking it without doing this dust also can collect on the evap from the condensation and plug it. This may or may not be your problem,But it is a possibility.

Prew
07-13-2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback. The airflow is bad even when the A/C is not on. When only the defrost or heater is used, I still get the same low air flow. Any more suggestions??

Thunderbolt
07-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The airflow is bad even when the A/C is not on. When only the defrost or heater is used, I still get the same low air flow. Any more suggestions??

My guess is either something is abstructing the duct or as I said in the first reply the evaporator. My first guess by what you are saying is that the evaporator fins are plugged and this is restricting air flow. I believe the air passes through the evaporator all the time. It could be from condenatation and dust collection or it could be from an epap. leak and dust. Is the flow resticted in all modes ?? Floor, defrost, vent , etc...

Ironic
07-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Vacuum leak could cause damper doors not to operate. If you get full air flow to defrost, thats your problem. Honting down the vacuum leak ain't always a easy proposition. Good luck!

Thunderbolt
07-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Vacuum leak could cause damper doors not to operate. If you get full air flow to defrost, thats your problem. Honting down the vacuum leak ain't always a easy proposition. Good luck!

I am pretty sure the dampers are controlled by electric motors. My 92 has an electric motor on at least one damper.

Prew
07-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the input, I am going to tackle this project tonight and will let you know what I found out.

CatDiesel_762
07-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Check to see if your truck was equipt with a cab air filter? This may be plug and causing bad air flow.
Before you do that -- Also check all your vents while it is running, to see if your air flow is being diverted to the windsheild or floor; resulting in a bad switch or motor on the diverter doors. That way when you go to inspect the filter you can replace the defective parts or look for a disconnected wire on the diverter door motors. The wire may have been disconnect while serivicing the motor, since the motor is located behind the plastic housing and in the cab of your truck.
I would also check the front of your truck's radiator for bugs rocks etc. Also check between the radiator and the A/C condensor (The Condesor Looks Like a Tranny Cooler infront of the Radiator "for those who do not know").
If you really want to get carried away use warm soapy water and scrub both the condesor and the evaporator with it.

Thunderbolt
07-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Cat Diesel, I thought about the cabin filter too, But GM didn't put them in the pickups until 99. Cleaning he condensor is also a good Idea although it won't effect air flow I would clean it anyways. The evaporator can't be cleaned without tearing the dash apart because that is inside the duct work.It is good advise to check to see if all the settings work properly to eliminate a stuck door or bad motor and I think if they work properly his problem is most likely the evap fins pluggeg. Do you agree ??

Add your comment to this topic!