Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 4x4 ram u-joint help request

hemipower
07-12-2004, 08:59 PM
The front driver side outer u-joint on my 03 ram 2500 4x4 is out causing the truck to buck and jump when you turn the steering wheel (not driveable). The unit has about 55,000 miles on it, and had the rear U-joint on the drive shaft changed out already too. The local 5 star Dodge dealer parts department tells me that there are 669 of them on order from dealers across the US. This part is back ordered to them all with no parts shipping to dealers and no estimated ship date.

here is my dilema:

I use my truck to do my job.
I have a job to pay for the truck.
No truck=no job=no payment.
Think the nice folks at Chrysler Credit will understand?

If anyone has any good ideas, I'm all ears.

pind
07-12-2004, 09:35 PM
go to an aftermarket supplier of your choice, get a u-joint, and install it. Bing Bang Boom done

Just because its new, and under warranty, does not mean that the dealer has to do everything, nor does it give a person license to give up working/living/breathing, and generally being a productive member of society.

I have an 01 2500 diesel. the dealer has only seen it for the lift pump which went out early, and the computer reflash and airbag clockspring, both warranty recall items.

Other than that, I do all the work myself, as I use the truck for work, and will not be without it.

BleedDodge
07-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Sorry to hear it. I hope you're not driving around with 4X4 engaged on pavement or something...

hemipower
07-14-2004, 05:44 PM
What's pavement? When I got the directions to the local's 4x4 area in the ozark mountains, it said "turn off'n er paved road. When the gravel ends go 4 more miles to the big boulder...........Then go 5 miles kind of north......

No, 4x in the dry, but about 6000 miles out of 55,000 have been in over 6" mud, deep snow, and loose gravel. About 1/2 of them were in 4x4 high. About 200 of them were 4-low.

I found out this morning that the dealer hasn't even ordered the part. I located the part at 1 dealer about 350 miles away. They are sending me one for right at $ 65.00 plus freight. I'm going to install it. We'll find out by the end of the weekend. Great warrany coverage eh?

fredjacksonsan
07-21-2004, 09:20 AM
I'd check on a recall or tsb for that part; if there are enough of them going bad (hence the scarcity of the part) then maybe there's something they'll do for you

Add your comment to this topic!