Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

M3 or 645?

Audi-Man
07-12-2004, 07:45 PM
I am debating between getting the m3 and the 645ci and am wondering which is the better deal. keep in mind that the m3 is about 15k less. thanks.

fatninja19
07-13-2004, 01:07 AM
if you got the money, wait for the m6!!!

Bavarian Boy M3
07-13-2004, 05:23 PM
the M3 offers more performance than the 645Ci, and you have a spare 15 grand after you buy it. But if I were you, I'd wait another year or so for the next-gen M3, with about a 400 hp V8 engine.

Audi-Man
07-13-2004, 11:13 PM
whats the m6 gonna run?

DinanM3_S2
07-19-2004, 07:21 PM
Nobody really knows, but by my estimation it should run around $100,000. The engine should be almost exactly the same as the E60 M5 coming out (500bhp V10, 7 speed SMG III) although there are also rumors of a bigger 550 bhp engine for the M6. I would have a hard time buying the M6 because you should be able to get a Porsche GT3 or a well modified E46 M3 for the same price.

If your looking for a really fun, really fast, great handling car, get the M3. Its not as big or luxurious as the 6-Series, but its alot lighter and generally a much more fun car. If you want a track car, get the SMG transmission and buy some Dinan Upgrades with that extra 15k you'll save. The only reason you should ever buy the 6-series would be if you wanted the big luxury car feel and much nicer rear seats.

Audi-Man
07-20-2004, 01:26 AM
thanks guys, i'm leasing the 04 m3 now and waiting for the new generations to come out. dang that thing is fast.

finally_retired
07-22-2004, 01:35 PM
OK, 6 series or M3. I don't think that I'd have a problem hear. The M3 has its place, but how common are they. There are 7 members of the lower management at my company with M3's in various different guises. Coups, cabrios, SMG's etc, etc...

With the 645i, Bangals styling is a little controversial, and the i-drive complex, but if you were to invest the extra 15k on the 6, you would reep the rewards when it comes to residuals. This is because there are fewer 6 series, where the M3 is as common as muck.

Personal oppinion here too, M3's are rather uninspiring to look at, the new Bangal BM's seem much more adventurous and contemporary. Now if they are ugly or stunning, is down to personal taste...

Audi-Man
08-06-2004, 01:36 AM
you're right, chris bangal was probably drunk when coming up with the i-drive system. but as for the styling of the m3, i like it, now i like the 6 better, but, come on, i'm not going to spend an extra 15 big ones on the body style.

And as for that 400hp v8 m3, what about that and when's that gonna arrive in the dealerships?

Antiburn
08-06-2004, 10:18 PM
If I was you I wouldnt buy the SMG tranny. Compaired to a regular 5 speed it felt like the smg was slower and didnt have as much pick up. But yif you want to be lame and have a street legal race car be an auto then be my guest. Sure the smg is a cool thing but I wouldnt ever get one. Ide get a auto before I get that. Others will say differently but after driving a M3 and a SMG M3 you can nitice the difference. Also if you have the SMG in auto format with the shifting at the hardest setting the shifting pattern is really werid. It goes into 6th gear at 35mph sometiems I couldnt get the dumb thing out of 2ng gear when I stop.

Audi-Man
08-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Don't forget that the smg is also a manual, so if you weren't lazy, you could shift with the darn paddle shifters right on the steering wheel. And as for the smg being slow, you must be drunk! That thing shifts faster than you could ever dream.

cdischner
08-10-2004, 07:41 PM
how could the smg feel like it shifted slower? the speed of shifting varies from smg to smg, but it's universally faster than a normal manual transmission--shifting with the smg paddles allows you to shift faster than you possible could with a normal manual.

as for finally retired's comment that m3s are common, where do you work? that's crazy, man. i hardly ever see m3s, though the 3-series is as ubiquitous as trees in the suburbs. the 6 is less common still, but i think you'd opt for the 6 if you're looking for more luxury and the m3 if you're looking for performance. besides that, the rest is preference.

BhramaBull01
08-22-2004, 04:59 AM
whats the m6 gonna run?

the current M5 engine of 400hp/tq...

DinanM3_S2
08-22-2004, 10:03 PM
the current M5 engine of 400hp/tq...

The E39 M5 was 400bhp, but the upcoming E60 M5 has over 500bhp. Presumably the M6 will have the same new V10 from the E60.

finally_retired
08-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Your correct about the M6. 500bhp is about right, and it sure will be somthing special.
As for your comments cdischner, The M3 is a very popular car, especially in britain. If you take a walk down broad street in birmingham, or look aroun the car parks in london, you will loose count of them...

Lets face it, the M3 isnt exactly unafordable, and a previously registerd example with a private plate on can be very reasonable indeed and look as expensive as a new exaple. I just prefer somthing a little different, thats all. If u want to be in with the in crowd (made up mostly of young-ish male execs) then an M3 is perfect.

The 6 is my choice.

Add your comment to this topic!