Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

240sx or mr2?

dnt987
07-12-2004, 05:53 PM
im 16 yrs old i already have some experience driving ff cars. now i want to get into rwd cars. ive narrowed it down to 2 cars:

-240sx(91-93)
-mr2(t)(91-93)

I would be using the car mostly daily drivin to school. I would do a little bit of drifting and racin too.

-which car is faster stock?
-i herd the 240 that it beeing underpowered?
-if i did get the 240 i probably wouldnt do a swap untill i grow some balls because i live in california and i dont want to deal with the cops. probably keep the KA and turbo it (is that still legal?)
-if i did get the mr2 i would do a camry v6 swap or celica swap (engine code?)
-i like to go around corners very quick and stuff like that so which car has better handling?

so how does the mr2 compare to the 240, which car would be better for me. im stuck between these 2 cars

mx3man
07-12-2004, 06:06 PM
IMO... MR2 all the way.. feels and sounds awesome.

christophv
07-12-2004, 06:55 PM
It's legal to splap a turbo into that 240sx.

the KA24DE is a truck engine... says all.

Get a 180sx (CA18DET, turbo great potential) or a european/japanese S13/S14 with a SR20-DET (even greater potential, drift engine #1 imho :D)

the mr2 only if you can't get a CA18/SR20.

I can imagine that drifting is also a bit more difficult with a middle motor, isn't it?

cu

JDMautogames.com
07-12-2004, 07:27 PM
I Suggest MR2. It is fast, fun and the most important thing is reliable. The handling is much better than 240SX. Go for MR2.

kman10587
07-12-2004, 08:13 PM
The MR2s are very hard to drive though, especially in bad weather. You have to be really pro to handle them at the limits. I'd suggest the 240SX for someone your age, and just turbo the KA24DE.

nbw
07-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Since your 16 I would recommend the 240sx over the mr2. Mid engine cars have very picular handling characteristics that can very quickly put you in a very bad position!!!!! Look up snapoversteer, the early mk2's have reputation about being prone to it IIRC. I am not saying this becuase I dislike mr2's, I actualy LOVE them. I am saying this since becuase I not only dont want to see another wrecked mr2 but I really dont want to hear about about a premature death/serious injury of fellow sports car enthusiast. :) (SUV drivers on the other hand can rot in hell... <3!! )
The 240sx. GREAT platform to start from I highly recommend this car to you since it will be allot more practicle. 4seats, a 'real' trunk that will suit your needs. and I think it will be better on insurance. People have done some great things with the ka24 dohc and sohc when turboing them just to let u know. :) They are great cars themselves, they just need abit of TLC.

so my vote, get the 240sx. I wont regret it.

ghetto7o2azn
07-12-2004, 10:04 PM
i agree with the 240sx because of the oversteer, which once you get used to the car, is easly corrected

one question though

why would u want to swap in a v6 camry or a celica engine in it?

what gen celica? the mr2 turbo shares the same engine with the celica alltrac...the 3sgte... the latest celica has the 2zz which has less potential, because it is hard to turbo due to the high compression

the 3sgte has already been known to produce over 700hp and can easily make over 300rwhp with little upgrades... how much power do u really want?

the mr2 is more of a sports car than the 240sx imo... 2 seats mid engine and rwd... its handling is excellent, but if u want to drift get the 240sx... the mr2 isnt the ideal drift car

NISSANSPDR
07-12-2004, 10:54 PM
1) MR2...200HP and 2700 lbs or so makes it much quicker than the 240SX's 155HP

2) Mentioned in reply #1...but that can be EASILY remedied via forced induction

3) Well...I am not sure what kits out in CA are street legal...but you could probably make a custom kit for about 1600 bux...and put down around 250rwhp easily w/o touching the internals...just save 20 bux to bribe the emissions guy

4) Why in the world would you want to put in V6 Camry motor? The 3SGTE (the MR2 Turbo motor) is so much better...not to mention that it has more HP than the current V6 Camry (197HP)...it's turbo...and it's really reliable and can handle lots of boost...some guy in Orlando has 525rwhp w/o touching internals (that's just a for instance...)

5) The MR2 would have a slight advantage...but both are equally capable...but for drifting...I think the 240SX is preferred

Bottom line...finding a good 240SX or good MR2 Turbo is hard...best of luck finding one...when you find one...have it inspected by a mechanic WHO KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING...and then go to town!

:naughty:

Implode
07-13-2004, 10:16 AM
I'd definately go with the 240sx. There is so much aftermarket support it's amazing. It is your decision though.

nbw
07-14-2004, 01:32 PM
4) Why in the world would you want to put in V6 Camry motor?

the aluminum camry v6 is a bad ass engine for the mr2. you can get a supercharger from TRD that brings it up to about 400hp. It's a great engine for those who want good throtle responce and smooth powerbands.and from what I hear the camry v6 actualy weighs less then the 3sgte! o_O but I would say if you already have a turbo mr2 to just keep the turbo engine, like u said they are great. :)
A guy with an mk2 mr2 owned it up at Ultimate Street Car Challenge.(quote from the mr2 owner who quoted the guy that was incharge of SCC)
“Just so you guys know, you got your asses kicked by a home built 13 year old car. Brad could have gone home and not finished after LACR and still won the contest.”
He was making something like 440hp.
[proud]

kman10587
07-14-2004, 02:33 PM
the aluminum camry v6 is a bad ass engine for the mr2. you can get a supercharger from TRD that brings it up to about 400hp. It's a great engine for those who want good throtle responce and smooth powerbands.

Hmm, maybe I should supercharge my 96 Camry V6 LE...see what happens... :D

dbebesi
07-14-2004, 04:07 PM
both are great cars. just see which one you can find, that is clean and at a good price. that's more important in my opinion. have a car that ain't rustin or leakin, and a good price.

NISSANSPDR
07-14-2004, 10:57 PM
the aluminum camry v6 is a bad ass engine for the mr2. you can get a supercharger from TRD that brings it up to about 400hp. [proud]

The TRD supercharger...as w/any of the TRD superchargers...only add 70HP onto the existing HP total...do some research and you will see that...remember that the Camry V6 has about 197 HP...you are talking about a 200HP jump out of a supercharger that's really not meant for you to take your Camry to the track and beat up on some Stangs...it's meant really to quicken the acceleration and responsiveness of the car...

kman10587
07-15-2004, 12:18 AM
I'm sure if you ran enough psi you could get it that high, but it wouldn't be very practical. I might try and supercharge mine anyways to get a little more oomph on the highway.

nbw
07-15-2004, 02:33 AM
The TRD supercharger...as w/any of the TRD superchargers...only add 70HP onto the existing HP total...do some research and you will see that...remember that the Camry V6 has about 197 HP...you are talking about a 200HP jump out of a supercharger that's really not meant for you to take your Camry to the track and beat up on some Stangs...it's meant really to quicken the acceleration and responsiveness of the car...
yeah 70hp gain with the basic pully size of 3.20 wich gives you max boost at 4psi. pully size or 2.0 would give you about 10psi wich would give you 340hp/370tq if this link (http://www.toysport.com/New%20Products/TRD%20Superchargers.htm) serves me correctly. Not 400hp like I thought(its been awhile since I looked into it *shrugs) but yes you can get more then 70.

mm torque

kman10587
07-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Damn, it can get up to 343 hp, not that I'd want it that high (I don't think it'd be street legal anyways). What's the highest I can get it with it still being street legal?

nacho_nissan
07-15-2004, 04:37 PM
^Not a good question at all. There are waaaay too many variables when you start to modify an engine (this applies to any motor, in any vehicle ever made) to determine when it becomes "illegal". You got street legal Ferraris running around with 450hp. Think about your question. Allot of this depends on your states emmissions laws as well. Still the same, its not like a state decides that once you reacha certain hp number it becomes illegal. Its about trial and error man, how much waste is coming out of your exhaust b/c of your turbo or w/e. You turn up the boost, more spent gasses are going to spew out of your engine. Just something to think about.

kman10587
07-15-2004, 05:06 PM
I'll just get the default pulley, then, which it says will be street legal. 276 hp and 271 torque is more than enough for me.

nacho_nissan
07-15-2004, 10:08 PM
by the way, i vote a 240SX simply because you can do many more things to it.
stock wise...ill have to go with a Turbo MR2

Add your comment to this topic!