Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

h23 4 door Teggy

Twyzz
07-12-2004, 04:47 PM
I've had my 4 door integra since may now and have been looking for more power. Along came my friend selling an h23 for 250$!!!! I"m pretty sure i am gonna do this swap, aslong asi keep the engine and don't end up selling. What i wanna know is, WIll my handling improve, or get worse. I know most of you think it will decrease, but if you know of corrados as well as i do the vr6 (v6) version has better handling than the g60 (supercharged 4). I was also reading that to a certain extent, the more wieght you have in the front of a ff car, the better it will handle. Again I said to an extent. Then i come in here and here how dropping an h22 in civic will kill it's handling... Anyone have any input and how this swap will effect my car?

CivicSpoon
07-12-2004, 05:07 PM
It will decrease you handling, giving you understeer. Something to do with the way the motor sits, or the weight of the motor sits (i believe to the rear). Better springs and shocks will help out but you'll still be getting understeer. My buddy has an h22 in his 95 civic, and you can definently feel the difference in handling; however it doesn't stop him from hitting an off ramp at 80-90mph.

Twyzz
07-12-2004, 06:30 PM
hmm but that's in a light car.. my car wieghs 2703 lbs or around there, so it ain't very light, but not a heavy wieght. If i take out both the ac and power steering along with trying to lighten up the front end of my car. I'm just trying to mkae this work withthe great deal i am getting.

CivicSpoon
07-12-2004, 06:53 PM
His car's a 4dr, weighs around 2400-2500lbs probably a little more; and he's a big guy too. I mean i'm not trying to tell you not to do it because it is a nice swap, and the understeer isn't horrible but it's definently there.

Twyzz
07-12-2004, 07:05 PM
yea i gotcha. I live in connecticut and everyone is just getting into the ls vtec craze... I've only seen 2 cars that have h22's inthem that didn't come stock. AN h23vtec is unheard of around here. Ihave no clue what car the engine is from so i don't know the situation on me turboing it or not. I don't want a 10 second car, just something unique. Any idea on what kinda tranny i should geT? h22 or h23? I was thinking with h23 cause of longer gears but i am open to suggestions and opinoins.

CivicSpoon
07-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Yeah the h23 tranny will be fine, the h22 tranny will end up being a pain in the ass with daily driving from all the shifting you have to do; not that the h23 is a ton better but still. And especailly if you'd go turbo in the future the lower gears will be much better; but then having the space for the motor and the turbo becomes an issue (mostly with the turbo being so close to the radiator fan). That's the setup my buddy kind of has now; h22a motor and h23 tranny with turbo. The h23 and h22 both came in the Preludes. But you'd probably have to go with a custom turbo kit if you wanted to go FI though, because a prelude turbo kit won't fit right in the teg.

Twyzz
07-12-2004, 08:11 PM
custom turbo set up? sounds like a lot of work and money.. Maybe just a supercharger and nitrous.. I always liked that set up. the supercharger will help you at launch and have the fogger nitrious set up at high rpm's. hmm i wonder ifthe supercharger would get in the way though

boosted331
07-12-2004, 11:26 PM
And especailly if you'd go turbo in the future the lower gears will be much better;

No. Longer gears mean you accelerate slower, period. It's just like saying an LS trans is better for B-series boost, it's just wrong.

IMHO, you have an LS there already, work with what you have. For less cost and less hassle than it will be to slap an H23 in there you can build yourself a nice turbo setup on the LS, or do an LS/VTEC conversion. Doesn't make sense to go H when you already have a good b-seies in there.

CivicSpoon
07-12-2004, 11:35 PM
With longer gears you will be in boost longer, I always thought that would mean you would have more hp output. But I guess you're right; I stand corrected.

Twyzz
07-12-2004, 11:43 PM
dude I'm getting an h23 for 250$! Why stay with the LS? I'm gonna hafta do a tranny swap seeing on how it's an auto...

boosted331
07-13-2004, 01:33 AM
dude I'm getting an h23 for 250$! Why stay with the LS? I'm gonna hafta do a tranny swap seeing on how it's an auto...

Dude, an H23 isn't going to bolt in and go for 250 bucks. You're going to need ATLEAST a new header, ECU, axles, and to dive into the wiring. For what it's going to cost you to go H23 you could have a VTEC head on there and a B16 trans, and be a helluva lot faster than the H23. Considering you don't sound experienced with swaps either, you'd probably want to have a shop to do it which just piles on the money. Prepare to get reamed and have it cost 5 times what you think it will if you go H23.

pheurton-skeurto
07-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Dude, an H23 isn't going to bolt in and go for 250 bucks. You're going to need ATLEAST a new header, ECU, axles, and to dive into the wiring. For what it's going to cost you to go H23 you could have a VTEC head on there and a B16 trans, and be a helluva lot faster than the H23. Considering you don't sound experienced with swaps either, you'd probably want to have a shop to do it which just piles on the money. Prepare to get reamed and have it cost 5 times what you think it will if you go H23.
seriously, the h-series motors suck too (this coming from a prelude owner). the overall potential of an h-series is way lower than the potential of a b-series (at least affordability wise). dont do the h23...boosted331 forgot about the custom motor mounts also which will run you over $600 for good ones from hasport.

take the $250+ and start saving for a b16 head...im sure you wont be sorry.

Twyzz
07-13-2004, 01:51 PM
The kid i am buying thisfrom needs the money to pay of credit cards so he is selling the complete swap including mounts. the only thing i am not getting is the tranny. If its as big as a problem as you guys say it is, maybe i can sell it and with that money, get a gsr head and a tranny for my car....

Hybrid_Sol
07-13-2004, 07:19 PM
The kid i am buying thisfrom needs the money to pay of credit cards so he is selling the complete swap including mounts. the only thing i am not getting is the tranny. If its as big as a problem as you guys say it is, maybe i can sell it and with that money, get a gsr head and a tranny for my car....

You're from CT? Me too. What town are you from?

You should buy my b16a3 motor and make an LS/VTEC. Theres a good reason its a popular option. You could even drop the entire motor in...but that's probably not your best option.

Also, the tranny has short gears which is good for racing, but can be cumbersome for every-day driving. I think its totally worth it though.

Twyzz
07-13-2004, 07:55 PM
nice! I'm from Montville. How is the tranny you got? hmm this whole lsvtec and maybe turbo is starting to look a lot more apealling

Hybrid_Sol
07-13-2004, 08:20 PM
nice! I'm from Montville. How is the tranny you got? hmm this whole lsvtec and maybe turbo is starting to look a lot more apealling

The car drives fine, but grinds sometimes in 3rd & 4th. I think it needs a new synchro. Its at my mechanic's shop. If you're interested, we can work out having him fix it before you take it.

I'm from New Haven - Montville is only like 30-40 min away. If you want to check it out you can contact me. peter@oneppo.com

edman24
07-14-2004, 01:15 AM
but if you know of corrados as well as i do the vr6 (v6) version has better handling than the g60 (supercharged 4).

wait a minute, i actually have a corrado and why exactly do you think the vr6 handles better? aside from the fact that the entire suspension, from the sway bars, bracing, and even the bushings are way beefier than in the g60 models. that is the only reason. the fact that the motor is heavier only makes it worse. take a vr6 corrado and throw in a g60 motor (i dont know why anyone would do this but lets just say) and after the swap it will handle better then it did before. vw placed the vr6 motor so far ahead of the front axles that it makes the car very nose heavy and creates intense understeer. not to say they dont handle well, but taking all that extra weight not only off the car but moving it back a little helps the handling immensely. same goes with h series swaps in anything but accords or preludes.

Twyzz
07-14-2004, 11:51 AM
The vr6's handle better because they have a better wieght distrubition. GO to the Corrado forums, that's where I read it

edman24
07-14-2004, 07:46 PM
The vr6's handle better because they have a better wieght distrubition. GO to the Corrado forums, that's where I read it

show me a link id like to know where you found that. most of the fastest corrados out there, especially in autocross and other forms of non-straightline racing, consist of 4 cylinder cars. heck the fastest all motor corrado in drag racing is a 20v 4cylinder!!!

Twyzz
07-17-2004, 09:20 AM
I got the h23. Mounts, wiring hrness, a set of ne valves, all the hardware, 2 intake and 2 exhaust manifolds and the engine has around 70k miles on it, deliverd for 350$.

CivicEXdude
07-19-2004, 11:47 AM
I have a 5 speed H23 tranny if you need it, let me know...I'll sell it cheap...

twist_49
08-08-2004, 04:53 PM
seriously, the h-series motors suck too (this coming from a prelude owner). the overall potential of an h-series is way lower than the potential of a b-series (at least affordability wise). dont do the h23...boosted331 forgot about the custom motor mounts also which will run you over $600 for good ones from hasport.

take the $250+ and start saving for a b16 head...im sure you wont be sorry.

Are you f@#$ing serious?!?!?! - h series motors suck? you have got to be one of the stupidest people i have ever heard talk about imports. do the tuner world a favor go get an import tuner mag or look it up on line, just do something to get some tuner knowledge in your head.

the h series is the best go fast series honda has made to date.
do you realize that most hondas in the 9sec and lower range are 90% h series engines?

or do you live in a box watching nothing but f&tf talking abot how a cai really adds 14hp because the guy in the magazine said so? people ike you need to do some reasearch before passing these regurgitated opinions off as your own. you give me a strong, valid reson why the h-series suck and i will retract everything i have said and appologize

p.s. check ebay you can get mount kits at around $300-400

edman24
08-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Are you f@#$ing serious?!?!?! - h series motors suck? you have got to be one of the stupidest people i have ever heard talk about imports. do the tuner world a favor go get an import tuner mag or look it up on line, just do something to get some tuner knowledge in your head.

do you realize that most hondas in the 9sec and lower range are 90% h series engines?

or do you live in a box watching nothing but f&tf talking abot how a cai really adds 14hp because the guy in the magazine said so? people ike you need to do some reasearch before passing these regurgitated opinions off as your own. you give me a strong, valid reson why the h-series suck and i will retract everything i have said and appologize

you are right in saying most of the fastest hondas are h series but i think he was referring to motors in stock form. for instance, a stock h series can handle very little boost while an ls can be boosted about twice as high as the h series can. the h series is just a weak motor in stock form. when built any motor can be strong. i think thats what he meant by saying they suck.

oh and i would never buy ebay motor mounts. i wouldnt want ebay products supporting my entire drivetrain and maintaining my correct drivetrain geometry.

CivicSpoon
08-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Yeah e-bay mounts will break on you, don't go cheap for something like that because you'll just end up spending the $ to buy good ones anyways. But HCP has the mounts for $450 and they are good quality too.

boosted331
08-11-2004, 03:42 PM

Do you realize that H-series trannies lick ass, you need to sleeve them to even put a new set of pistons in, and they are more prone to detonation than the B-series. A b-series is a 10 times better platform for a street turbo car than an H-series is.

Integra_mods
08-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Nopi pistons are the best

Add your comment to this topic!