Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Blazer stalling

finfanmo
07-12-2004, 11:51 AM
I just read the thread about a 97 Blazer ignition switch problem and am wondering if the same thing is wrong with my 96. It starts right up, but while driving (mostly while accelerating from a stop, but sometimes while at constant speed) the thing just loses power and sometimes dies (feels like a fuel pump going out). The weird thing is that when it loses power, the "brake" and "anti-lock" lights come on, then IF engine power comes right back, the lights go out. Also, if it dies and needs to be restarted, it will only restart if the key is first turned to the "off" position. The ses light has come on and shown egr and lean fuel (egr has been replaced twice) but often I get no ses light when all this is happening.

Ok, I don't know if this is a cause or result of the problem, but usually after stalling and being restarted, the tranny (brand new) jerks from first into second gear. That problem is solved by parking it and turning it off for 5 or 10 minutes.

If there are any Blazer exorcists out there, I could really use your advice (kinda sucks being stuck at a green light trying to get restarted).

Thanks for any help.

smahala1286
07-12-2004, 04:04 PM
The exact thing was happening to my in my 96 blazer today, it seemed to only happen on left hand turns and some accelerations, my tank was a little under 1/4 tank full so i put some gas in and it hasent happened again yet, my tranny does the the same hard shift out of first gear and that seems to happen when it is really hot outside.

finfanmo
07-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Could your transmission problem be related to a need to flush your fluid? My truck doesn't care what the temperature, humidity, or barometric pressure is. It just doesn't like to act right. Just can't figure it out.

smahala1286
07-12-2004, 04:28 PM
It can be, but i do know that heat is the worst thing for a automatic transmition. And if your transmition is toast and you flush the fluid and change the filter it can sometimes make it worst. Just hope that helps a little bit.

30 pak
07-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Go to auto zone and have them read your codes for free. Then go from there. had a simialer problom, mine turned out to be a throttle position sensor.

Add your comment to this topic!