Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Differential Service Question

LTJGWorth
07-11-2004, 07:29 PM
What are all the steps that I need to take to change the lube in my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500's rear diff?

BleedDodge
07-11-2004, 08:23 PM
I don't have my truck here so I can't look, but I think that there must be a drain plug that fits a 1/2 inch drive socket on the bottom of the diff.

You put new oil in the diff through that plug that's on the back of the diff, about half way up. You should probably take the truck for a ride first to get the oil warm enough that it will run out quicker. If it's cold it will go so slow...

LTJGWorth
07-11-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks. Do I need any special pumps or anything to pump the oil into the case?

BleedDodge
07-11-2004, 11:28 PM
I use either a handheld pump similar to an oil can, or a pail of oil with a pump on it. If you're good with a skinny funnel, you could try that too. Either way, the oil has to get inside the diff somehow...

LTJGWorth
07-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Yea I figured that it would require some sort of pump as I have seen this work done before on other vehicles.

rajjhauf
07-12-2004, 03:27 PM
There is no dran plug on the diff. cover, only a fill hole. You have to place a pan under the diff. and remove the bolts all the way around the diff. cover. You need to replace it with 90 weight gear oil. A new diff. gasket may be needed.

SwampNut
07-20-2004, 11:40 AM
You can also buy a diff oil drain pump at any auto parts store, which whill let you pump out the old oil instead of removing the cover. Then you reverse the pump and use it to pump in the new oil.

Not sure if Dodge limited-slip diffs need a friction modifier (I've always been a Ford guy until now), but if you have limited slip, check on that.

Add your comment to this topic!