Low Oil Pressure Alarm

little gus
07-11-2004, 03:11 PM
I have a 2000 Passat 1.8T with 30k. the oil pressure alarm goes on and off after I drive about 5 miles.The oil level is fine and the engine runs and sounds fine. When I change oil it stops for about 2 weeks then starts up again. What could it be?

boschmann
07-11-2004, 10:36 PM
What quality & weight of oil are you using? Does the oil level increase or smell like gas after a few weeks?

little gus
07-12-2004, 05:11 PM
What quality & weight of oil are you using? Does the oil level increase or smell like gas after a few weeks?
I AM USING 5W40 OIL , OIL LEVEL STAYS NORMAL, NO GAS SMELL .

tyler2003
08-18-2004, 04:06 PM
I AM USING 5W40 OIL , OIL LEVEL STAYS NORMAL, NO GAS SMELL .
My 99 Passat is currently at the Dealership for the same problem. The alarm sounded every 5 minutes. My oil level was also normal. After driving about 15 miles (since the light first appeared) my oil pressure dropped while idling. If I was driving 50 to 60 mph - the pressure would rise. The dealership told me that I needed an engine flush to clean out all of the sludge in the engine. The noise was then being created by the Lifters which were not getting enough oil. They told me that if I would have waited too long - the oil pump would have gone and so would the engine. They also told me that this seems to be a fairly common problem with Passats.

brett stallings
08-23-2004, 10:59 AM
did you do the oil changes on schedule? I was told by vw that the sludge is caused by not changing the oil on schedule. I did them myself so they said i voided my warranty. Sure is interesting that they require you to run synthetic oil in the future to keep the warranty. they have a design problem with the turbo producing heat and breaking the oil down. how does the car get such ratings with engine issues?

ssims
12-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Warning to all Passat owners 1998 thru 2004 w/ 1.8t engine. There is a known "oil sludge" issue. Do everything in your power to make VWoA and your local WV service center to pay for this obivously defective engine. Tell everyone you know about this issue. I have sucessfully gotten one friend to trade in his Passat and I'm currently legally fighting VWoA to repair my '99 Passat. REMEMBER: Keep all documentation!

John_E
12-27-2004, 06:01 PM
... I did them myself so they said i voided my warranty. Sure is interesting that they require you to run synthetic oil in the future to keep the warranty. they have a design problem with the turbo producing heat and breaking the oil down. how does the car get such ratings with engine issues?

1) I admittedly had cam seal leakage instead of sludge, but VWoA approved cam seal and cam chain adjuster replacement, under powertrain warranty, on my 2001 Passat, on which I have done all of my own maintenance for the past 2 years. I presented the dealer with a printout of the Excel spreadsheet on which I record date, odometer reading, parts (or oil) used, and other comments, along with receipts for oil, which I generally buy by the case on sale, and filters. If you have at least this level of documentation, appeal to VWoA.

2) I naively used high-quality 5W-30 dino until I received the infamous sludge notice, because my 2001 owner's manual explicitly says to use either synthetic or high-quality petroleum-based oil, preferably 5W-40, but 5W-30 is fully acceptable. Later manuals evidently tighten up considerably on the language, eventually to the point of REQUIRING synthetic, generally 5W-40. All VW had to do was to come out in 1998 and say that synthetic is required! The only thing saving my @$$ was my 3500 mile / 6 month OCI.

3) I believe EVERY 1.8T subjected to urban driving will eventually die from sludge with dino on a 5K mile / 8K km OCI. I also believe no 1.8T used mainly for longer highway trips will develop sludge on synthetic oil on a 3.5K mile / 6K km OCI. Most of us, of course, fall somewhere in between.

momof3c
02-11-2005, 06:03 PM
volkswagen to work with dealers to improve guidelines for sludge repairs
RALPH KISIEL | Automotive News
Posted Date: 2/7/05

NEW ORLEANS - Volkswagen of America Inc. will work with dealers to develop less-stringent guidelines on free repairs for vehicles with oil-sludge problems.

Dealers have been asking VW for more lenient guidelines for owners who encounter problems with engine sludge even though they have maintained vehicles properly. The topic arose at VW's make meeting.

"I think we'll see the restrictions relaxed," said Bob Grace, chairman of the VW National Dealer Council. "The bottom line is we need to do the right thing."

In August, VW acknowledged oil sludge problems in some VW Passat and Audi A4 models. It has required customers to show proof that they followed factory recommendations on oil changes.

But sometimes VW owners who have been diligent about maintaining their vehicles don't have all of their receipts, Grace said.

"VW will work with the dealer council - a collaborative effort - to come up with something less restrictive," he said.

Len Hunt, vice president in charge of the VW brand in the United States, said the guidelines should be formulated by the end of February. Hunt said he and Grace will inform dealers then.

"We're going to find a happy medium," Hunt said. "We're not going to cover repairs for someone who drives 80,000 miles without ever servicing the car. But for the owner who has done the reasonable thing, maybe missing one oil change, we will address that owner."

VW dealers also learned that VW will create a rapid-response team to smooth the March 19 launch of the redesigned 2005 Jetta.

"We need a successful launch of the Jetta," said Grace, of Southpoint Volkswagen in Baton Rouge, La. "All our hopes are pinned on it The Jetta is VW's best-selling U.S. model.

"We've never had this kind of launch team. That's pretty important to us," Grace said.

In the past, VW dealers had to endure a launch without getting vehicle owner manuals or other important point-of-sale information, Grace said.

VW's team will have more than 30 quality engineers standing by to solve launch problems, including engineers from the Puebla, Mexico, plant where the Jetta is assembled, Hunt said.

"The idea is to fix it like lightning, should any problem arise," Hunt said.

Team members will be placed in VW headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich., and in cities where Jetta sells in high volumes, Hunt said.

VW also told dealers that it would work with them to develop new brand standards to replace the program that is expiring at year end.

Dealers earn cash incentives for adopting the standards, which typically involve investing in exclusive dealerships, building and process improvements.
Related Stories

chrsb5
03-05-2005, 09:50 AM
You can do your own motor flush, just get some AutoRx and follow the instructions. Or if you're concerned about clogging your oil pump, try the following, it worked well for me.

Drain you oil, put the plug back in then spray an entire can of break cleaner down your dipstick tube. Let it sit for about an hour then drain.
Next step, get a baby bottle brush or some other long thin brush and scrub out the inside of your oil pan. I was quite surprised with the amount of gunk I was able to flush out, considering I've use Mobil1 every 3-4k. I then used my shop vac and a home made thin extension to vacuumed out the bottom of the pan. Just to ensure that I got everything out and to help the brake cleaner evaporate.

Running a large filter (I use the Nappa 1333) and the resulting .75 quarts more oil will also help with the sludging issue.

C

veedubmechanic
03-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Drain your oil and put in a can of seafoam and oil. Run for 20min, drain then fill with frash 5w40 and new larger oil filter.

ablanscet
09-12-2005, 12:00 PM
We have a client for whom we are investigating the design defects of the Audi A4 1.8 turbo that resulted in oil sludging and related engine failure.

We are interested in hearing the details of anyone else’s experience, including any dealings with Audi in connection with its “extended warranty” offer.

Andrea L. Blanscet
Paralegal to Randal R. Kelly
Irwin & Boesen, P.C.
501 S. Cherry St., Suite 500
Denver, CO 80246-1327
Phone # 303-320-1911
Fax # 303-320-1915
E-Mail: ablanscet@irwin-boesen.com
Web site: www.irwin-boesen.com

m5dads
11-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Drain your oil and put in a can of seafoam and oil. Run for 20min, drain then fill with frash 5w40 and new larger oil filter.

Any more instructions w/ sea foam treatment I have a 2000 passat the low oil light came on once then went off I did an oil change and cleaned the oil screen w/ break fluid and flushed w/ more oil. light has not came on again. Any idea what a dealer charges for an engine flush?

Thanks
Mike

cwbelt
11-23-2005, 08:32 AM
[ I have a 2001.5 new passat that I bought used at 29k. I immediately switched to amsoil european formula and it ran great until 65k. then oil pressure light came on. Flushed engine and put in syn. oil. ran great for next 12k. oil light came on, did the same procedure and oil light came on after only 1k. Any sugg.? When the orig. problem began the oil pressue was low at 3-4 rpms. Engine flush helped but still not what pressure should be. I'm trying to avoid a major repair, any sugg.?

luvbmw
09-29-2010, 11:10 PM
I have similar problem. I showed to a mechanic and he said it was the turbo problem. I changed Turbo and the problem was gone. after a month it flashed out again.

I have 2001 Passat wagon over 100k miles. I use 5W-40 senthetic oil. after 2 days it smells like gas.

If anyone have solution please write me an email

luvbmw
09-29-2010, 11:11 PM
I have similar problem. I showed to a mechanic and he said it was the turbo problem. I changed Turbo and the problem was gone. after a month it flashed out again.

I have 2001 Passat wagon over 100k miles. I use 5W-40 senthetic oil. after 2 days it smells like gas.

If anyone have solution please write me an email

I have changed a oil about a month ago. it has run maximum of 1000 miles after it

rocha155
06-22-2011, 08:25 PM
I see you posted in 04. I hope you are still online. What was the outcome with VW. I drive a 01 Passat 1.8L turbo. oil pressure light is on and i changed the oil pressure switch and warning light still comes on. Im taking in to dealer and getting diagnostic. Outside mechanic did diagnostic and said it could be oil pump or busted seal. Im worried that I will pay for oil pump and it will not fix problem for them to tell me later it is sludge in the engine

Add your comment to this topic!