Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whoa!

klawria
01-29-2002, 12:12 AM
Horizons are cool. I have a horizon. I like my horizon even though it's ugly. It's like an old ugly dog that you are too attached to to let go of... you know?

Polygon
01-29-2002, 11:54 AM
Only the Omni GLH.

TJ_PGT
08-20-2002, 04:47 AM
here's mine we call her "Da Hoopty"

TJ_PGT
08-20-2002, 04:50 AM
Da hoopty

SsHaDyGt
08-29-2002, 09:15 PM
my first car a horizon yea there ulgy but i read about people hookin them up and belive it or not i just went to the drags and i saw a horizon lowered in the front it was pretty loud it smoked a new camaro its a sleeper mines a hoop-D also but i tried to pimp it out i put my system in it and painted inside i tried to put pictures but it wont work

Just_A_pal
07-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Hey owners and enthusiasts of Plymouth Horizons.

Could someone advise me of a good resource to spice up my old junker?
I think I will need shocks and struts replaced, new exhaust, definitely some work on cyl. head, cause it's noisy like a sewing machine and burning out oil. Oil pressure gauge acts somewhat strange - when the motor is at full load and rpm's are about 3000-4000 the arrow drops down like there's no oil pressure. Fortunately it has emergency pressure drop light that doesn't come on and there's no significant change in sounds. If you could give me any useful links on the web that will help too. I prefer to buy parts and do-yourself projects.

Thanks in advance.

Stefanel1
07-16-2003, 01:28 PM
I remember seeing it on the road when I was young, but we was seeing it as a Chrysler Horizon or a Talbot Horizon (depending of the year). Though, funny car.

JimBlaich
08-05-2003, 07:19 PM
You guys any good at diagnosis? God like?

Ok, 1986 horizon. Drive down to lumbermans. Buy my goods. Drive across the street to load up. Load up my goods. Car won't start.

Turns out the starter is bad.

Replace the starter.

Drive the car to work. Park. Drive the car home but stop at the bank on the way home. Park. Car won't start.

Get a jump. Looking at the area fo the battery from within the car I see smoke.

Examine the wiring and see one of the wires from the starter relay has fried. Trace it back and replace the whole wire.

Being unsure I get a new starter relay.

Replace the starter relay.

Attempt to start the car. Nothing.

Attempt a jump thinking it is low battery. See some more smoke from the same area. Wiring is hot but can't identify which wires are fried if any.

Examine the starter for shorting wires. None found as the starter wires are designed in such a way as to prevent shorting at the starter.

Take the starter to NAPA. Tests the starter and it blows their circuit breaker.

2nd starter bad. 3rd starter ordered.

I am pretty sure this is not caused by the starter. The starter is the poor recipient of the problem.

Somewhere between the starter relay and the starter SOMETHING is wrong that shorts this stuff out and fries the wiring. Anyone have any ideas? Is it actually the starter and I'm having bad luck? Why did it drive for a day or two and then go out again?

Do I risk putting the 3rd starter in and deal with the potential to blow it?

Who among you guys is godlike in your knowledge and can answer why the starter has been blowing and why the wire melted and what the effect on the starter relay is?

BTW, I'm not a car person. I just can't afford to take it to the shop. Automotive repair costs are far far too high. As well, This wiring and starter system seems to be the epitome of bad engineering. I would hope that not all cars are designed so poorly.

Just_A_pal
08-06-2003, 01:27 AM
That's about the problem with starter.
In most cases if a car is equipped with AUTO transmission, there may be a chance of screw up from a transmission switch. But in your case I even don't need to know if your car is standard transmission or not. I strongly believe if there's no mechanical problems with the starter and surrounding parts including the flywheel crown gear, then it's definitely the starter. Starter is a very reliable part of a car and once put a new one in then it should not be any problems long time. You are just having a bad luck.

horizonking69
08-21-2003, 01:06 AM
wel first of all what year is your horizon mine is 87 amd i had to buya fuel pump a new carburtor well froma junkyard and new head gasket ,timing belt and fan belt, i pimped mine out pretty good i have all kinds of lights and pedals lkight up and i have good speakers in it and i have no rims because ithik rims ona horizon would look dumb but i have chrome hubcaps that make my car look sweet well hey if u have nay more questions email me or submit another post be more specific

Just_A_pal
08-21-2003, 02:36 AM
Hey H. King,
I now work on mine too. Just got a good set of struts for rear and front off a junkyard. I managed to find a good ones, the front struts have road sensing technology inside. Changed rear ones already and experienced a great deal of improved handling and stability on the road!!! Discovered that I need to replace hand brake cable and right drum along with bearings and pads. Guys who initially inspected the car for insurance company didn't do their job right. I will never turn to MIDAS again. Neither will I go to BLASKIN LANE and APOLLO MUFFLER AND BRAKES. BAD, BAD GUYS!!!
It's getting better if you do yourself and doesn't cost that much too. I will need to work on front end and right after I'm done there I will go for wheel alignment. The best place found for this was
OK-Tire. :thumbsup: Great guys, low price.
Need a special key socket to unscrew oxygen sensor. I want to replace it too. It's sitting solid!!! Well, that is not the end of my odyssey with this car... to be continued...

:feedback:

Just_A_pal
08-21-2003, 02:50 AM
Hey owners and enthusiasts of Plymouth Horizons.

Could someone advise me of a good resource to spice up my old junker?
I think I will need shocks and struts replaced, new exhaust, definitely some work on cyl. head, cause it's noisy like a sewing machine and burning out oil. Oil pressure gauge acts somewhat strange - when the motor is at full load and rpm's are about 3000-4000 the arrow drops down like there's no oil pressure. Fortunately it has emergency pressure drop light that doesn't come on and there's no significant change in sounds. If you could give me any useful links on the web that will help too. I prefer to buy parts and do-yourself projects.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

Just a little update here. I have changed two oil pressure sensors (put in an old ones taken from junkyard). It seems that problem is in the sensor. First one worked about two days and then quit. Second one seem to be working a little longer...will see.
Also ran oil system flush and it improved quite a bit my engine. Changed oil + anti smoke additive almost stopped oil burn out. Till the next oil change for now.
Think about possibility of rear brake conversion from drums onto discs. Any ideas? :1zhelp: Need money wise solution. Will consider any junkyard components for a project. Just wonder if anyone has it done.
Thanks in advance

Honor
08-27-2003, 09:59 PM
Owned Omni's for about 5 years till I joined the Army. Biggest issue I had was having to replace the front wheel bearings. Between my two cars and a buddies Turismo, we replaced 4 front bearings(all 3 cars had same bearing set up).

One of the biggest things I did that improved performance/handling and stopping distance was put a set of T speed rated performance tires on it in the size of 175/70R13 (I think may have been 185/70, can't remember). Only problem I had after that was replacing front brake pads about every 10 thousand miles, but I blame most of that on the way I drove.....Lemans style......all gas or all brake :smokin: .

Honor

Just_A_pal
08-28-2003, 01:31 AM
Hey Honor,
Thanks for feedback on the subject. I just enjoy having a little project on my car. For now I'm planning to work on front end, replace critical components and go for wheel alignment. As you mentioned the bearings I've changed them already. I think the root of the problem is because the front hubs and rotors get really hot on this car. It just feels abnormal even if you drive smooth. Rotors and calipers on my car are good, just in case someone questioned it. Think of putting in a set of vented rotors if possible at all... I recently discovered that quite a few models of Chrysler have the same transmission and lower arms for the front. Was I really surprized to know that my car has same transmission as Dodge Caravan? Is it for real? I met a guy at the junkyard who shared his troubles with me and told his story about having to replace 4th time transmission on his Dodge Caravan.
Changed O2 sensor and noticed a better gas mileage for about 2 litres/100km. The old one looked a little smoked up, the color wasn't right. Now it seems to work better.
That's about all the updates for now.

Take care everybody.

Ran
08-28-2003, 05:44 AM
funny car.
yuppppperssss :iagree:

Omni Freak
12-21-2003, 02:05 PM
I know omnis and horizions are the best cars ever made

Add your comment to this topic!