Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installing a CD player.

JSamps07
07-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Anyone know where I can get a Diagram or something on how to install my new CD player in my 1990 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4? I went to Install Doctor and it showed that it only went back to 1995 on Chevy trucks.

Thanks a lot.

scubawrstlr
07-11-2004, 12:04 PM
I have no clue, but I have a question to add to yours, for those who actually know. I have a stock radio that is huge, like 4 inches tall. now the one I want to put in is about an inch shorted, how do I eliminate that space? Knowing how to install it would be great too.

JSamps07
07-11-2004, 12:11 PM
I have no clue, but I have a question to add to yours, for those who actually know. I have a stock radio that is huge, like 4 inches tall. now the one I want to put in is about an inch shorted, how do I eliminate that space? Knowing how to install it would be great too.

What do you drive? I know with my truck, My Radio isn't in the spot that my cd-player will be and they make a tray that goes there for my trucks model, but then it depends on what you drive. Id say if it goes in the same spot then that make a CD hold that is big and covers up the space that would show if you didn't have it there but i'm not sure.

simple_country_guy
07-11-2004, 01:03 PM
First off to Scuba... you will need a "fit" kit. This fills in the space that is left once the factory radio is removed. It provides a solid mounting point for your new radio and a clean finished look. You can get them from any radio shop including: Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack... heck I even think Wal-mart carries them.

Ok... now the next part. The easiest and cleanest way to wire a radio is to buy a wiring harness. You will simply match the wire colors from the new radio the the harness and then plug the new harness into your trucks factory harness. You can get one of these harnesses at any of the locations I listed above for the fit kit.

TexasF355F1
07-11-2004, 06:51 PM
First off to Scuba... you will need a "fit" kit. This fills in the space that is left once the factory radio is removed. It provides a solid mounting point for your new radio and a clean finished look. You can get them from any radio shop including: Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack... heck I even think Wal-mart carries them.

Ok... now the next part. The easiest and cleanest way to wire a radio is to buy a wiring harness. You will simply match the wire colors from the new radio the the harness and then plug the new harness into your trucks factory harness. You can get one of these harnesses at any of the locations I listed above for the fit kit.
:iamwithst

Willie0508
08-09-2004, 02:20 AM
go to walmart i bought the $20 one at best buy it broke i went to wal mart and bot Scosche kit and get Model GM1488 that should fit and wire harness GDMA hope it helps

pjhitchcock
08-11-2004, 09:01 AM
You need to buy an adapter if you don't want your "engine light" permanently on. Also your door chime will not work. These things I know for sure, but there may be other problems when installing an aftermarket system, too.

Faze3
08-19-2004, 01:18 PM
You need to buy an adapter if you don't want your "engine light" permanently on. Also your door chime will not work. These things I know for sure, but there may be other problems when installing an aftermarket system, too.

Is that just for the 1990, or all all the Silverados like that?

I just bought a 2001 Silverado LS and pulled the aftermarket from the truck I traded in. I was hoping the stereo swap in this Silverado would be as painless.

I know where to get the dashkit and wiring harness. Any more info you can provide on this adapter would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

pjhitchcock
08-19-2004, 04:56 PM
I have seen the module in Crutchfield. I am not sure what years it applies to. My 2003 that needs the adapter.

Faze3
08-21-2004, 02:09 PM
I have seen the module in Crutchfield. I am not sure what years it applies to. My 2003 that needs the adapter.

Hm. I can't seem to locate anything special. I went back to Crutchfield and added a stereo to my cart. Didnt see anything special, just their standard wiring harness.

Anyone with any specifics on this, I'd appreciate it!

Mike

pjhitchcock
08-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Hm. I can't seem to locate anything special. I went back to Crutchfield and added a stereo to my cart. Didnt see anything special, just their standard wiring harness.

Anyone with any specifics on this, I'd appreciate it!

Mike

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Gem1ctIFBq1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=751&I=120GMRC01&o=p&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y&search=

scubawrstlr
08-22-2004, 12:09 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I'll get the kit...and finally get rid of that stock POS

Faze3
08-22-2004, 02:52 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Gem1ctIFBq1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=751&I=120GMRC01&o=p&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y&search=

Thanks for the link, but $80 just to retain the audible chimes? I'll pass on that.

As is, I'm looking at $50 just to wire up the aftermarket CD deck and my amp and speakers.

Then again, looking at this component and selecting my vehicle, says it doesn't fit mine anyway. :D

*Sigh*

Willie0508
08-22-2004, 11:34 PM
you do not need the chimes adapter if it is not an 03-04 model on you amp cd speakers i have 02 tahoe with out onstar that is something you will need a adapter for if you have it but i replaced speakers cd and installed amp just go to crutchfield put in you vehical info got the adapters and installiton if you have any Questions email me at wbattles@alltel.net

Faze3
08-23-2004, 07:01 AM
you do not need the chimes adapter if it is not an 03-04 model on you amp cd speakers i have 02 tahoe with out onstar that is something you will need a adapter for if you have it but i replaced speakers cd and installed amp just go to crutchfield put in you vehical info got the adapters and installiton if you have any Questions email me at wbattles@alltel.net

Ahh, ok. Cool. I was under the impression that this was a requirement for all the Silverados.

I'm only planning on hooking subs to the amp and via RCA cables. I'm leaving the stock speakers in otherwise (appear to be good enough; I'm not going for competition-level sound here..)

Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!