Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My girl's front end needs fondling!

roadieric
07-10-2004, 02:03 PM
GEO PRISM NEEDS HELP :banghead:
We're talking about a mid-90's GEO Prism with 80-some K miles. It seems like it's about ready for a new set of CV joints. My first clue was when it started making a clicking/grinding type noise when I made a left turn. Now it's happening on right turns as well. Is this something I can fix in my driveway or do I need to go to "the pros"? Also, what would a fair price range be if I take it to a shop? I tried to call "Click and Clack" on NPR but no luck. What do you smart folks out there think? I have to come up with a good answer soon. This is the girlfriend's car and I think you know what that means! >>> Roadie Ric

Hideous
07-10-2004, 11:22 PM
GEO PRISM NEEDS HELP :banghead:
We're talking about a mid-90's GEO Prism with 80-some K miles. It seems like it's about ready for a new set of CV joints. My first clue was when it started making a clicking/grinding type noise when I made a left turn. Now it's happening on right turns as well. Is this something I can fix in my driveway or do I need to go to "the pros"? Also, what would a fair price range be if I take it to a shop? I tried to call "Click and Clack" on NPR but no luck. What do you smart folks out there think? I have to come up with a good answer soon. This is the girlfriend's car and I think you know what that means! >>> Roadie Ric

Unless you have all the tools to pull both axles and replace them,you are better going off to the pros. It is more cost effective to replace the entire axle than just replacing the outer joint.The noise you are hearing is a result of bad bearings/cage clearence in the joint itself.This is caused in most cases by the boots being split open over a period of time
and loosing most of their grease. Good luck !

Add your comment to this topic!