Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya porsche 911 GT 1?

Tikiman
07-10-2004, 10:17 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has done the Tamiya 911 GT1, which has the paintwork on the body ready done. I saw this kit today and thought that if the body is already finished, is there still enough to do to make it a worthwhile project?

Comments welcome. :smile: :feedback:

lotus_man
07-10-2004, 10:32 AM
It's a very detailed kit with a compete engine bay and interior. I've built several and loved them, however to me a kit loses something if the body is already sprayed. It's kind of a cheat. But hey, if you like the car and hate doing decals it's probably perfect!

Tikiman
07-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks man. Yeah it is very tempting as I usually screw the decals up, but does seem a bit cheaty. Still not sure. And i do need the practice on the decals, but on the other hand gives more time to the interior detail. Hmm.

MPWR
07-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Yeah, even without doing the bodywork, it's still a very detailed, rather building intensive kit. The one major downside to the prepainted/decaled kits is that the bodywork mold lines are not removed, merely painted over. If this doesn't bug you, these kits are beautifully finished- and there's plenty of interior detail to be built. If it does, well, the unfinished kit is certainly cheaper. (Take a look at one in your LHS- you should be able to see the mould lines through the transparent window in the box.) Don't know if I would recommend it for decal practice- it is of course a very complicated scheme (count on a week of decaling alone!), but really it would all depend on your confedence in your skills. There are less elaborate cars to learn on!

Vric
07-11-2004, 07:19 PM
YEs nice model

If you aren't very good with decal, this version is a good choice to have a nice finish.

There is lot of work to do, nice engine and cockpit details

Tikiman
07-12-2004, 02:31 PM
I think I'll have another look at that one. I noticed that the rear hood is removable so i would still be able to see my handy work.

rallygod
08-06-2004, 07:10 AM
I was given the 2000 CLK DTM Prefinished body as a gift. The quality was definately not Tamiya. The clear coat has tiny cracks in it, like an old vase, and one of the decals has an air bubble under it. Not saying I could do any better, but I wouldn't say the body was schoolboy acceptable, let alone a show stopper.

Add your comment to this topic!