Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Were is the fuel pump relay? 1994 Bonneville

John Muro
07-08-2004, 04:03 PM
I can't seem to find were the fuel pump relay is in my manual. Can anyone help. My car stops running sometimes and when it does I still do have a spark so I thought I would try the fuel pump relay. Thanks for any help. John

randman1
07-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Your fuel pump relay is position H in the relay center loacted below and to the right of the glove box. Here's the layout of the relay center:

A-----K
B-----J
C-----H
D-----G
E----- F
fuses 1-4
fuses 5-8

There is no position "I" for some reason. If your car is stalling upon start up then you could have a problem with the relay. However, if it has been running for a little bit the oil pressure switch actually runs the pump. The following is a description of the fuel pump operation:

Description and Operation
When the ignition key is first turned to the "ON" position, the ECM will energize the fuel pump relay for two seconds. This increases fuel pressure for cranking. If the engine is not running within two seconds, the ECM will shut off the relay and wait for a "START" signal. As soon as the engine is cranked, the ECM will energize the relay and power the fuel pump. Once the engine is started, the oil pressure switch provides power to the fuel pump. The pump will then continue operating as long as the ignition is "ON" and there is engine oil pressure. If oil pressure is low (enough to possibly cause engine damage) the oil pressure switch interrupts power to the fuel pump.

NOTE: The fuel pump relay can be bypassed at the oil pressure switch to operate the fuel pump. Also, a faulty oil pressure switch can cause the pump to run continuously whenever the ignition is "ON".

Your problem might be something other than the relay.

Add your comment to this topic!