Front End Clunking

drdestructo_8
07-08-2004, 01:10 AM
I Have A 98 Jimmy And The Front End Makes A Clunking Noise When You Go Over Bumps And At 65 And Up, Its Like The Wheels Are Of Blalanec But Ive Had Them Balanced Over And Over. The Tie Rods And Ends Have Been Replaced, It Has All New Poly Bushings Up Front But The Noise Is Still There. When I Had Someone Else Driving I Looked Out The Passenger Side And It Looked Like There Was A Lateral Movement Of The Tire At Slow Speeds Which Im Sure Is Making It Seem Like It Is Unbalanced. I Took Off The Hub But It Is Good Condition And There Is No Play In The Bearings But I Did Notice Play In The Passenger Side Linkage Going To The Steering Box. Is That A Problem For Jimmys, And If How Do You Fix It. Everything Else Is New And Its Really Annoying.

ski2me
07-08-2004, 09:37 PM
I have the same year Jimmy with the same problem. I haven't been able to find the problem either. One other thing though. Mine wears out ball joints like you can't believe. Every time I have it aligned I have to get one or more replaced.

xokayxo
07-09-2004, 03:55 AM
i have the same problem w/my 98, sounds like its coming from the right side mostly. lots of rattling, sounds mostly like its coming from the outside. havent tried sticking my head out the window to look at the wheel when driving though. i was told it might be the tie rods but also it might be the idle arm or steering box. also, i'm missing some weather stripping from my drivers side door and it chirps REALLY BAD. is that the kind of thing you can take from a junk car and tack onto a decent car?

Teaman3
07-26-2004, 03:42 AM
I Have A 98 Jimmy And The Front End Makes A Clunking Noise When You Go Over Bumps And At 65 And Up, Its Like The Wheels Are Of Blalanec But Ive Had Them Balanced Over And Over. The Tie Rods And Ends Have Been Replaced, It Has All New Poly Bushings Up Front But The Noise Is Still There. When I Had Someone Else Driving I Looked Out The Passenger Side And It Looked Like There Was A Lateral Movement Of The Tire At Slow Speeds Which Im Sure Is Making It Seem Like It Is Unbalanced. I Took Off The Hub But It Is Good Condition And There Is No Play In The Bearings But I Did Notice Play In The Passenger Side Linkage Going To The Steering Box. Is That A Problem For Jimmys, And If How Do You Fix It. Everything Else Is New And Its Really Annoying.

To get a clunk at that speed usually means:
1 the suspension arm ball joints are worn
2 a front differential shaft bearing is worn (4x4)
3 wheel bearing is worn/loose
4 suspension bushes/bolts/bolt holes are worn/loose

I'd check the ball joints first. I've noticed that on my 1988 Jimmy S-15 4x4, the positioning of the top wishbone can lock the ball joints up, thus causing them to wear quickly. The top wishbone bolt holes are elongated to allow the setting of the Castor and Camber angles.

Use a short (12") pry bar CAREFULLY between the hub carrier and wishbone where the ball joint is, to see if the two can be moved apart. Up/down or side to side movement more than a couple of millimetres equals wear.

Wheel bearing wear is detected by raising the wheel off the ground, gripping the wheel at top and bottom, then rocking it to see/feel for movement.

Differential shaft bearing wear can be spotted easily. grasp the inner driveshaft hub and rock it. Up/down or side to side movement more than a knat's whisker is wear.

Check bushes AND the bolts AND the bolt holes for wear and make sure the bolts are on tight afterwards.

PS Anyone know the Castor and Camber angles for 1988 S-15 2.8 Jimmy? Not in my Haynes or Chilton manuals.

DZNZ
07-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the info Teaman!

kyperman
08-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Check the torsion bars...mine were loose...always made a clunk when turning left cause the right one was loose. BITCH to fix.

Thanks for the info Teaman!

Teaman3
08-26-2004, 05:04 PM
There is another possibility I've recently found.

The drive shaft inner spider can pop the back plate off and push most of the grease out afterwards. The clue is lots of grease around the coupling/differential shaft plate.
The spider, now without much grease will clatter in the coupling when going over bumps.

The shaft has to removed to replace the plate, which is a spring fit like a core plug. Make sure the plate mating surfaces are 100% clean/degreased and that the gripping edge of the plate is sharp. Also thoroughly clean the coupling to differential shaft plate mating surfaces.

This problem I think is caused by the torsion bars being in need of resetting, as over the years, they have "twisted", hence losing their "springiness". This allows the suspension to move through a greater arc, causing the spider to eventually hit the plate. Soft shock absorbers will not help either.

Have fun http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

Add your comment to this topic!