Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Vue & tire wear?

Old Lar
07-07-2004, 09:35 PM
My cousin has a 02 Vue with the 4 cylinder, manual transmission and is experiencing strange tire wear. The tread in the center wears prematurely, along with the inside edge. The car has been taken back to the dealer three times. They keep the car several days, put new tires in the car and installed some "kit". The dealer isn't forthcoming with what they are fixing.

The car drives fine, air pressure set by the dealer, but he just took it back after 5000 miles after the last fix, for the same problem. The car only has 26K miles on it.

Does anyone else have any similiar problems with the Vue? Could it be something with the electronic power steering?

sierrap615
07-07-2004, 10:49 PM
wear on the inside edge is normally camber to far in (or out, can't remember), if they have done alinements on the VUE, i suggest going to another dealer or alinement shop and have them redo it. i'm learning how to do alinements, and can see how a small misstake in the beginning can screw up everything.
wear in the center is commonly over inflated, check the sticker on the drivers door for the proper pressure, be sure you check it cold.

is this warrenty work?

i think anything you pay for for you should know what they did. unless this is a silent recall or special TSB thing. Lucas1 can you help me out with this?

that "kit" may be a set of shims sometimes used in alinements, or part of a TSB

Old Lar
07-08-2004, 01:49 PM
It is all done under warrenty at the dealer.
They told him, this last time, that the tires were over inflated, and his reponse was "Why did you over inflate them?" Since they have done all the work on the car.

He is just getting annoyed.

I'd like to know about any silent recall or TSB.

I know GM has them. I've paid for repairs in the past, only to find out after the fact of the silent recall on that part.

sierrap615
07-08-2004, 11:09 PM
i checked on the TSBs i have access to, and the only thing i see is that they have changed the alinement specs twice since the VUE debued, i would keep a eye on the tire pressure(always check it cold, after driving the PSI raises by about 4) if it remains a problem, take it to another dealership, my dealership(so i assume others do too) try to have the same tech work on a car every time it comes in, and as much as i hate to say this, i wonder if he knows how to use the alinement machine...

Old Lar
07-09-2004, 08:54 PM
According to the dealer the car is on a technical watch list by Saturn. All alignment specs check out, tire pressure checks out, suspension checks out. They want the car to come back every 1000-2000 miles for evaluation. The dealer rotated the back tires to the front, since these too were replaced 6000 miles ago. So the best of the tires are now on the front and we'll keep an eye out for wear.

Old Lar
11-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Tire wear is still an issue. However the car is coming on to 36,000 miles warrenty coverage. The plan is to dump the car at 36,000 miles. The dealer (or Saturn) can't determine what is wrong and engage in stall delay tactics.

Add your comment to this topic!