Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bad head gasket??

rjm1
07-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Please help!!

I'm considering buying a 1989 Toyota pickup with the 2.4L 22R engine, which has 220,000 kilometres on it.

As I was checking the antifreeze with the engine cold, when I removed the cap, the system was under pressure and some antifreeze spilled out. I asked the owner to run the vehicle with the cap off, and what I noticed was that the antifreeze level increased and spilled over as soon as the engine began running, then it seemed to level off for a couple of minutes, rose again and spilled over, and leveled off. It was obvious when the thermostat opened up, because the system bubbled and spilled over, then levelled off. The bubbling and spilling over happened a few times, presumably as the thermostat opened up. Unfortunately the seller of the truck had an appointment and I wasn't able to test the system with the engine fully hot.

Does anyone know whether all this indicates a bad head gasket? What concerns me the most was the initial cooling system pressure with the engine cold . . .

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Rob

natenelsen
08-18-2004, 10:59 AM
tough call, I would say no to bad head gasket, but a "block checker" could tell you for sure. It is a device you put over the radiator in place of the cap and it is filled with a chemical that turns colors if there are any combustion gases present.

Nate

xtoyotacorex
09-17-2004, 11:18 PM
tough call, I would say no to bad head gasket, but a "block checker" could tell you for sure. It is a device you put over the radiator in place of the cap and it is filled with a chemical that turns colors if there are any combustion gases present.

Nate
usefull, how much do they run for?

natenelsen
09-19-2004, 03:01 AM
I got one off the tool truck for about 45$ I think, but that was a couple of years ago, Let us know how this works out.

Nate

Add your comment to this topic!