Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

rough idle '98 stratus

doner30
07-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Hello, I have a '98 stratus with 105K, 2.4L that after changing the timing belt with a mechanic friend now has a rough idle like a stumble. Of course the steering wheel still vibrates as usual. I.m wondering if we should have put a timing light on it. We just lined up the marks is all.
The car runs great on the hi way but at a stop in gear or in park she idles rough like I mentioned above.

Any thoughts or experiences, thanks.

bthomps1474
07-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Hello, I have a '98 stratus with 105K, 2.4L that after changing the timing belt with a mechanic friend now has a rough idle like a stumble. Of course the steering wheel still vibrates as usual. I.m wondering if we should have put a timing light on it. We just lined up the marks is all.
The car runs great on the hi way but at a stop in gear or in park she idles rough like I mentioned above.

Any thoughts or experiences, thanks.

I am having this EXACT same problem. The service engine light comes on and the code is simply that Bank one is too rich. If memory serves me it was 0172. If anyone has any hints I'd appreciate hearing from you.

1badredbird
07-28-2004, 11:24 AM
I don't think that you can put a timing light on these cars in this age, it (timing) is all computer controlled. I have a 96 Cirrus that kind of lunges if you let off the brake pedal a little, but it seems to idle OK, in neutral anyway.

doner30
08-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Ok fixed it. Had to reset the timing marks. Yes this car's timing is computer set. Runs great now. :smile:
The timing marks were set ahead a degree or mark, whatever u would call that.

oopschrysler
09-22-2004, 02:48 AM
I too have a Dodge Stratus running poorly after my mechanic replaced timing belt and a bad bearing in the auto tensioner.

My mechanic claims he did the job right and won't re-check the belt to see if it is a notch off. So... I'm gonna have to do that myself.

I've never done timing, but I can get the plastic cover off that exposes the upper part of belt. Since you've done this on a Stratus... I thought you might be able to give me some advice on how to know if the belt is one click off. Any help would be appreciated.

What about the timing marks threw you off when doing yours? Your mechanic friend was even thrown for a loop? Is there something abnormal about the markings on a Stratus?

Ok fixed it. Had to reset the timing marks. Yes this car's timing is computer set. Runs great now. :smile:
The timing marks were set ahead a degree or mark, whatever u would call that.

Add your comment to this topic!