Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CRX bad timing..?

DirtyD777
07-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Hello everyone,

You may not know me around AF to well because I don't post often but I have got alot of help from you're guys threads by reading them but now I have a problem that I can't find in search.

My 89 crx idles rough and when pushed to go (mostly on highway) It won't really go above 3000 rpm it just backfires and misses. I suspect that my timing belt is a tooth off because I can't seem to get it right by adjusting the distributor. But does this seem like the timing to you honda vets out there? Just wondering if there's anything someone might recomend trying before I ;;sigh;; pull off the motor mount and do the belt again.

=)

OutlawGST_97
07-08-2004, 12:57 PM
It sounds like the timing, I cant think of anything else that would cause that. And if it is off some teeth i bet its not just one.

civickiller
07-08-2004, 02:02 PM
just pull the timing covers and set the crank to tdc then check to see if the cam gear lines up good, if not then you know how to fix it. if it does post up and we can help you further

DirtyD777
07-08-2004, 03:01 PM
hey thanks for your replies but I actually got it figured out last night. The timing wasn't off at all- The tensioner was abit to loose and the belt had some play in it. also one of the O rings was bad and one of my plugs was getting oil in it. It's all good now though. :bigthumb:

Add your comment to this topic!