Looking for a decent project car...

CougKid3030
07-07-2004, 03:10 AM
I'm going to start doing some internet/auction hunting and try to find a decent first project car.

I currently have a 1973 Buick Apollo, and a 1986 Toyota Pickup.

The Buick only has 37,000 miles on the entire car, so I dont want to do to much that will ruin what the car means to me and my family, and do not want to ruin its almost unchanged glory. As for the truck, Its actually my Dad's, I just drive it when my Buick is doing one of her tempermental things, or just trying to keep the miles off of it.

I don't really have ANY preference on the car I get to work on. I'm more a muscle / truck guy right now, and I really wouldnt mind dipping into an import scene, with class that is. I'd like to pick up something I can really just pop the hood open on and see what does what, bolt stuff on, and see how it works.

I'm looking for a small or mid sized car, probably imported, just because if I'm working on it, I want to be able to drive it around at the same time, and not have to dump 3k on some crate for a muscle car. That will come later in my life.

The cars I'm sure I'm NOT looking for would be any Civics, or 2 door hatchbacks in general. But not Civics. I'll keep an open mind to any suggestions on any era car, 70's to early 90's, but I wouldnt mind it being fairly cheap, and affordable to maintain. Plus, reliability would be nice, minus the stuff I personally screw up.

So, any suggetions for a car to keep an eye out for? Preferably the cheaper range, IE no "Buy a wrecked 300z TT and drop 9 grand into it and it will be a good project," this is an over a few years sort of thing, that I'll slowly put money into.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

EDIT: Not Korean... no Kia etc.

mtu2
07-07-2004, 01:09 PM
try here
http://beam.to/mots

CougKid3030
07-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Finding the right auction/site isnt really the hard part for me, its deciding which car to lean towards. Thanks for the link, though, It did provide some helpful information.

Lakehaze
07-08-2004, 10:46 PM
any thoughts on a 240/280z datsun already? Classic Jag inspired styling, simple straight six motor, and cheap. (Maybe even a v8 swap-$$$) (2 doors and a hatch tho...but it aint no civic)
Or maybe a cj series jeep. Pre-Chrysler (pre '86). Very tough jeeps, classic and fun.
I just rescued an 86 MR2 from the scrap heap last year, just enough to get it road worthy. Those are fun 'little(!)' cars. A challenge in dexterity, but simple enough.
Others, just to get the juices flowin':
90 Supra - Straight six, EFI,turbo? Speed Potential
68 Charger/70 challenger - Mean, $$, Pimp (crate?)
~88-93 mustang 5.0-cheap, fast, loud, ugly charm
80's toyota pickup mudder/crawler
old beetle- - awww
damaged miata - simple motor, great fun
kit cars- nova, 427 cobra, dune buggy
any rx7 - ROTORY!, cheap, fast, learning experiance
ae86 - four seet mr2, rwd, superb handling, cult
88 Caprice Estate Wagon- TOADTRIP! charm
68 Chevelle Wagon - ROADTRIP! muscle
80's camaro/firebird - cant leave em out
$Blown-up-Viper engine swap$- whos gonna know...
And um... a tercel... actually, they're pretty cool- awd, reliable, cheap... could drop a massive v8 in the back of the wagon and kill urself... I guess that last one means im out of suggestions, but that should get ya started. Good luck, I envy you :)

91300zxtt
07-08-2004, 10:51 PM
try here
http://beam.to/mots

what the hell dude??? do you work for them or something? honestly people can find their shit easily thats alll you post is try here this works and post that dumbass site. it costs 35 bux most ppl dont wanna pay when they can look for free

CougKid3030
07-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks Lake for all the suggestions. I'm actually strongly considering a tercel or 5.0 mustang.... but those other ones are all good ideas. I'm going to wait on a Camaro or Charger though until I'm older and I can actually Build that beast... 10's and such, minimum.

Datsun Kid
06-30-2005, 12:25 AM
Well if your looking 70's well my name says it lol go 1969-1973 datsun 510 you can pick one up cheap with no motor swap a ka24 or sr20 or if you wanna keep it simple put a l18 or l16 or l20b or if u want a lotta work go with the vg30 then it will scream down the road...more motor then car there

Add your comment to this topic!