Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

future floor wax

speedphreak
07-06-2004, 02:48 PM
I went to a hobby store (very reputable) and they showed me these amazing models that a dude from the shop built. Top notch work, and I asked how do they make em so shiny> He told me Future floor wax. He told me to prime and base coat the car model. Some people dip the body in it and some use a q-tip to apply it, has anyone here heard of this?

-Chris

Mainomega
07-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Ya, my results have been mixed though.

Verminator
07-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Yep, used the UK equivalent Johnsons Klear, have used as a clear coat both with an airbrush (no need to thin ) and by brush painting. It dries quick but you need to watch for 'runs' as they do develop very easily. If you apply with a brush use a wide flat brush as you get less air bubbles and don't overbrush it or you'll get streaks due to the quick drying time. I usually apply and then get a piece of kitchen roll folded to a point and touch the corner gently to any runs, to absorb them. Sorry for the long winded explanation, best bet is to try it out on an old kit You will find one cheap bottle will go a long way though and it doesn't seem to react with any paint finish as far as i'm concerned.

Turbo Monster
07-06-2004, 03:02 PM
never heard of a q-tip application, but, I would just use my airbrush. Future Floor Polish comes in a clear bottle, and you can usually find it a wal-mart or anyplace....

Here is what it looks like:

http://childofmecha.com/Modeling/Tool_Box/Future.jpg

not my pic, but from www.childofmecha.com <--cool site!

You can airbrush it straight from the bottle, and its basically bulletproof!

Check out the FAQ at the top of the car modelling index to see if any of your questions have already been answered. Good Luck!

jswillmon
07-06-2004, 03:37 PM
very cool site, thanks turbo.

Fkouch
07-06-2004, 04:28 PM
I've found that dipping it produces the glossiest finish, but like someone else said you have to watch for runs.

I use the q tip approach aswell but the finish is never as glossy.

Cheers

Farrokh

dag65
07-06-2004, 05:26 PM
works great for making windows very clear also, this gives them a better scale appearance. One can also tint it slightly and airbrush the factory tinted visor at the top of the windshield on newer cars

mikemechanic
07-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Here you go. Everything you need to know. The complete future. (http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html)

speedphreak
07-06-2004, 06:15 PM
how do you go about dipping the body in the Future floor wax? Thanks!
-Chris

935k3
07-06-2004, 10:14 PM
The Q-Tip method is great on 1/43rd scale cars and hard to reach places like down in NACA ducts on bigger scale. I use a clean folded tissue to wipe on Future, it takes some practice but you get less runs. As aslways it can be removed with ammonia or window cleaner. You can actually touch up areas by using a q-tip soaked in ammonia. Most waxes I have tried over Future tend to remove it. The only wax I have found that doesn't but increases the gloss is ZYMOL brand wax. A coat or two of Future with Zymol over top gives a really nice shine. Wiping it on elimainates the need for masking anywhere the gloss is not wanted(like window trim)AAlso I have not had any yellowing problems. I believe that only happens when to thick of a coat is applied. The nice thing about Future is can be redone over and over till it's right, other clears are not so forgiving.

Turbo Monster
07-06-2004, 10:33 PM
just get a box, most likely rubbermaid or totes or somthin at wal-mart, bigger than the body, fill it with future, dip the body, tilt it toward a corner, and let the excess drip off. maybe dap a lil with a paper towel. also make sure to check places where the future could get caught up and run...

Good Luck!!

Oh, and JSWillmon, good to have ya back bro!

jswillmon
07-07-2004, 07:35 AM
Oh, and JSWillmon, good to have ya back bro!

Thanks, glad to be back!

dag65
07-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Great link, bookmarked that one

Add your comment to this topic!