Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

push start cause timing chain to jump?

papason
07-06-2004, 01:16 PM
94 toyo pick up, 108,000. I/we did several (about 8-10) push starts until I replaced the contacts in the solenoid. There were some attempts with the key not in the right position, It helped alot when I noticed that.
My question is.. can this cause the timing chain to jump? Or any such problem. After gettting the starter back in it would not start at first. Then after one or more push starts it would start with key. Idled rough and died without gas. did not have problems before and got just under 32mpg nearly all freeway. Any way it finaly ended in the shop and they said guides broke and needed new chain. Can push starts cause such a thing?

CougKid3030
07-07-2004, 01:59 AM
I've not heard of that... but it MIGHT have caused it. 108,000 miles could be your problem too, things start to go, eventually, even on the imported models. If you really were dumping the clutch to get the push start to go you could have rattled enough stuff around to cause this problem... but I have my doubts that is what caused it.

papason
07-07-2004, 05:53 PM
thanks for your thoughts I wish I had more. The thing is I cant see another explanation other than the shop lied to get my money.

modification_inc
07-27-2004, 07:07 PM
timing guides in the 22r and the 22re do tend to get weak and break after around 150,000 or so push starting my have jared it and broke the guides there not that stong.

Add your comment to this topic!