Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95, very squealy starts

superfanthony
07-06-2004, 10:20 AM
i get some pretty nasty squealing when i startup my 95 rodeo. really only when its been sitting a while. it doesnt seem to squeal when i start it and its still warm, and the colder it is, the longer it will squeal. i have found that if i just gun the engine, itll get real loud and then stop, but i dont like doing that for any number of reasons.

tightened the loose power steering belt, and it still squealed. replaced the belt because it was loose again, and it still squeals. all the belts seem nice and tight now, so im thinking (and affraid) that it is the water pump...but before i take it in i want to know if there is anything other troubleshooting i could do to diagnose/fix it.

any thoughts?

amigo-2k
07-06-2004, 10:55 AM
when it is cold have a friend crank it over with your head inside the hood to determine where the seal is coming from.

-Ryan

surferfletch
07-06-2004, 06:07 PM
It takes very little time for the belt to my water pump to loosen to the point that I get the horrendous squeal at startup. It finally catches and I hear the whooosh from the water pump kicking in. I should go outside and do it right now...

Cat Fuzz
07-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Gotta be an accesory drive belt. Most likely the alternator belt. I had to get mine pretty tight before it stopped squealing and it was a new one.

Huffy76
07-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Had the same thing happen with my 94 rodeo...had the alternator belt tightened and the problem went away. I have it check every oil change. Good luck

superfanthony
07-08-2004, 08:39 AM
got the alternator belt tightened and problem seems to have vanished. thanks a lot, guys.

apextek
12-20-2004, 09:39 AM
i bought a 94 passport w/ a 3.2 liter about 2 months ago. A week later the altenator went. -Replaced it. 1 week later the belt was squealing heavily, inspecting it- decided time for all new belts.
A week after replaceing all new belts the altenator belt was squealing again. Took it into the shop had it tightened. 1 week later it was squealing again -badly. back to the shop tightened again.
1 week later same thing.
This time the shop said the new altenator had a bent pulley, also at this point the new belt was shredded.
Replaced the new altenator under warranty and the new belt.
Now the same problem is back again.
does anyone have any ideas as to what could be continueing to loosen the belt?

seattle-fred
03-31-2005, 01:46 PM
I am having the same problem with my 96 Passport, my alternater belts keeps coming loose. I have just replaced my second belt in as many years. I have tightened the belt as tight as I can without breaking something. I have also tightened 14 mm set bolt. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the alt belt tight????

Thanks
Fred

Cat Fuzz
03-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Maybe the belt is of poor quality or is defective causing it to stretch. Buy a Gates brand belt. Napa sells Gates, thats good stuff.

mwt
04-02-2005, 06:49 AM
I changed all the belts on my 95.5 3.2 and it took me about three adjustments to finally stop the startup squeel.

Mike
:smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!