Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rodeo will not start

vacaphobia
07-05-2004, 01:28 PM
1998 rodeo, will not start. All connections appear solid, battery seems to be good. When I turn the ignition all I get is a click??? I tried jumping, same thing click. All power options function, lights are good and bright. I washed posts, replaced clamps and it started, after running for a while I shut it off and it would not restart, I wiggled the cables and it started, this happend a couple of times now it will not crank at all. Need help bad. Thanks

amigo-2k
07-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Well since you have good power to lights (headlights) you battery is probably ok. The wiggling of the cables may mean you have a bad body ground.. Follow the neg terminal to where it grounds. Remove it. ruff it up (cable and ground point) with some sandpaper. And reinstall. If it doesn't help I think it would point to the starter (how many miles do you have on it?). When starters start to go bad the do just that. So times they make a click and nothing, and other times they turn right over.

-Ryan

vacaphobia
07-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Well since you have good power to lights (headlights) you battery is probably ok. The wiggling of the cables may mean you have a bad body ground.. Follow the neg terminal to where it grounds. Remove it. ruff it up (cable and ground point) with some sandpaper. And reinstall. If it doesn't help I think it would point to the starter (how many miles do you have on it?). When starters start to go bad the do just that. So times they make a click and nothing, and other times they turn right over.

-Ryan

I cleaned up all connections, and all are bolted in good and tight, do you think the cable wiggle was just a concident (sp), I also turned the sterring wheel one time and it started, could it be just by chance the starter clicked in at the same time? It has over 80,000 miles on it. Are these care generally troublesome? Seems to be a lot of postings about them.

lonnie

amigo-2k
07-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Still sounds like a bad start or the connection to the start are dirty. I would assume your battery is only a couple of years old?

As for troublesome? No not really. When folks have trouble they go to the internet and google their problem and this board usually comes up first. Like all cars and trucks, if you don't maintain them you will end up with problems. Also, as it ages all cars have problems, even Honda's and toyota's.

-Ryan

vacaphobia
07-05-2004, 04:36 PM
I'll check the connections again. I don't mean to be down on Isuzu, I've just experienced a lot of trouble with this car, and the Trooper I had before it. Thanks for the tips.

Lonnie

jerotum
05-11-2006, 12:45 AM

-Ryan
hi i got the same problem, i just got a tune-up to my izusu rodeo 1998, in the last few days when i put the key and turn it to start, it doesn't start, i have to try many times to get start, do you think there something wrong with the car or its a normal situation, what do you think i have to do? omar montalvo

Ramblin Fever
05-11-2006, 08:10 AM
The Starter. Just went through this myself.

Paul A
05-12-2006, 07:37 AM
Hi,
Had the same problem a couple of months ago.
There is a 10 amp fuse on the starter circuit.
I pulled it,cleaned up the blades on the fuse and so far the problem hasn't come back!
Worth a try!

Add your comment to this topic!