Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint websites.

DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
07-05-2004, 10:32 AM
I think this has been asked before but in your opinion which website is the cheapest to order paint from?

freakray
07-05-2004, 11:27 AM
http://www.scaleracecars.com

DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
07-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Any others? I just went to that one and the Primer is more expensive than HLJ. How's the shipping costs to Canada?

Vric
07-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Any others? I just went to that one and the Primer is more expensive than HLJ. How's the shipping costs to Canada?

Sure it's more expensive than HLJ... HLJ is in Japan...

For the shipping, they don't ship Paint to Canada. (I know, I asked him last week for Alclad Paint)

If you want paint, you will need to find a Canadian store or HLJ. The only 2 option (HLJ will take about 30 days for the shipping since it must be always ground)

DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
07-05-2004, 07:35 PM
If you want paint, you will need to find a Canadian store or HLJ. The only 2 option (HLJ will take about 30 days for the shipping since it must be always ground)

Yeah, I guess you're right, but amazingly I got my package in 12 days. I just received it today from HLJ and I picked SAL. Got a Nismo S-tune Skyline Coupe, some fine paint brushes and 2 cans of primer. I was just wondering because it's not cheap for paint and I just wanted to see if I could get a better deal.

minniebanister
07-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Have you looked at http://www.squadron.com? They say they ship to Canada via FedEx (although I haven't verified this) and their prices seem to be a lot cheaper than www.scaleracecars.com. I paid US$6.97 for Alclad Aluminum whereas scaleracecars wants US$7.85.

Vric
07-06-2004, 08:59 PM
WoW.. 0.88$ Thats a LOT cheaper :D

Btw, shipping by fedex mean expensive shipping and horrible custom and dutty fees.

scaleracecars
07-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Have you looked at http://www.squadron.com? They say they ship to Canada via FedEx (although I haven't verified this) and their prices seem to be a lot cheaper than www.scaleracecars.com. I paid US$6.97 for Alclad Aluminum whereas scaleracecars wants US$7.85.
It is possible to ship paints via Fed EX and UPS. Most of the time the quantities involved make it much too expensive. They may have a better arrangement with Fed Ex however which may make the fees reasonable.
As for price there are several distributors who sell direct to the consumer. Since they buy from manufacturers directly and resell to people like me they obviously get a much better price and can sell for less. It is unfortunate in some respects because retailers like myself have very little incentive to carry many of the products people really do want to buy. They make more by a large margin selling directly at the discounted price than I do at full price. This is one of the biggest reasons you see reductions in the stock levels of plastic models and such. Many of the products I carry actually end up costing me money to sell but I keep them here anyway for my customers and many of them do support my store by purchasing some of these type of products along with the harder to find items. I think in a lot of cases it is because my shipping is often less, most orders ship the same or next day and they can always get a quick response from me when they have questions.
One thing I determined a long time ago is that I needed to sell products with a fair margin of profit both for me and the buyer and make sure I give the best service I am able to with prompt shipping and excellent packaging. There is one thing I do try my best to accomplish and that is to have a wide enough range of products that a customer can buy a plastic kit, paint, putty and detail parts from one store at the same time. This means one shipping charge in place of several if you have to source alll of the products from different stores. If I could ship paints out of the US I would but they are dangerous materials and even though most would go through customs and the postal service without detection I would not be able to live with myself if one of the packages blew up in an airplane.
David

Vric
07-07-2004, 09:05 AM
I would not be able to live with myself if one of the packages blew up in an airplane.

:lol: :rofl:
ahh the Americain's Airplain Paranoia :biggrin:

EMAXX
07-07-2004, 09:07 AM
I've bought a lot of Model Master paints from www.testors.com and that seems to be a pretty good deal.

Vric
07-07-2004, 09:25 AM
I've bought a lot of Model Master paints from www.testors.com and that seems to be a pretty good deal.

From testor checkout:

Currently we cannot ship outside of the 48 continental states or to APO, FPO, and P.O. boxes.

EMAXX
07-07-2004, 11:31 AM
From testor checkout:

Currently we cannot ship outside of the 48 continental states or to APO, FPO, and P.O. boxes.

Oh, I never even noticed that. Sorry.

minniebanister
07-07-2004, 11:46 AM
WoW.. 0.88$ Thats a LOT cheaper

Yeh, you're right (I see you have a calculator). It is 12% less. On a reasonable sized order, that sort of savings can pay the shipping charges.

scaleracecars
07-07-2004, 03:00 PM
:lol: :rofl:
ahh the Americain's Airplain Paranoia :biggrin:
Yeah, Yeah. LOL
The fact is no one is supposed to be placing pressurized cans on any aircraft operated by the public postal system in any country that I know of. There are exception for private carriers such as UPS and Fed ex. The public mail systems have and do fill passenger airline empty space in the luggage compartment from time to time so anything that can not be placed on a passenger airplane can not be shipped. The foreign mail manual and domestic mail manual int he US is about 4000 pages long so it takes some time to even figure out how to ship them legally by ground here in the USA throught he postal system.
David

Macdaddy4738
07-07-2004, 03:10 PM
what paint do you use? www.plastic-models.com (i think this is the site) has Tamiya bottles for 1.80. Im not sure if they ship to Canada (i belive they do)

Vric
07-07-2004, 03:51 PM
scaleracecars, why not shipping by ground then ?

For what I know, ground or air is praticly the same speed for Canada from US

scaleracecars
07-07-2004, 04:03 PM
scaleracecars, why not shipping by ground then ?

For what I know, ground or air is praticly the same speed for Canada from US
In the international mail manual under restrictions/prohibitions
"Shipments bearing caution labels indicating the contents are flammable"

This applies to ground/ air etc.. The restrictions are set be the receiving country. This is typical of most countries. UPS and Fed EX are completely different as are other shipping companies such as ocean going freighters etc.. I can ship all I want via Fed ex but there is a service fee associated with paint that is around $60.00 per shipment plus regular freight charges. A customer would have to order in such large quantities that it is just not feasable. Every few months I look again at all of the shipping options I can find and when I do find one that will allow me to ship them with a reasonable cost/time factor I will begin doing so. Until then it is not worth the risk as the fines are HUGE.
David

minniebanister
07-08-2004, 12:32 AM
www.plastic-models.com (i think this is the site) has Tamiya bottles for 1.80. Im not sure if they ship to Canada (i belive they do)

It says "This item may only be shipped within the United States using Surface Shipment".

Also, these are the "mini" 10ml bottles (1/3 fl oz). http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam81501.htm has the same thing for $1.59. Unfortunately, I don't think they ship to Canada either.

I tried searching the web for an online hobby store inside Canada which sells paint. Couldn't find any. Surely there must be one somewhere.

Vric
07-08-2004, 08:19 AM
What I don't understand, is praticly (of not all) US store don't want to ship paint to Canada, but Japan store will (HLJ, Raibow10 etc..)

This is the point I don,t understand why

scaleracecars
07-08-2004, 08:26 AM
What I don't understand, is praticly (of not all) US store don't want to ship paint to Canada, but Japan store will (HLJ, Raibow10 etc..)

This is the point I don,t understand why

They are not supposed to ship them but they do. Personally I do not have a problem with them for it.
David

Add your comment to this topic!