Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Subaru STI or Mitsu Evo 8???? I'm looking for a new car

dj_louie
07-05-2004, 01:43 AM
Hey.... i really need help on deciding on which to get...i'm selling my old 240/ silvia with an sr20det to buy a new vehicle. But i been doing reserch like on websites and road and track mags and they seem to jump back and forth between theses to cars......also i would like to know what has better aftermarket parts and what is overall an better car. Please help....also what has changed between the 04 sti's and the 05 sti's???

kman10587
07-05-2004, 03:25 AM
For 2005, the STi got a standard sound system and six-disc changer, and (I think) standard floor mats.

I would pick the STi, for the following reasons:
1. I think it looks much better than the Evo.
2. Bigger displacement motor. Less turbo lag, more power @ the same psi as the Evo.
3. Better reliability. Mitsubishi is a very unstable company right now, whereas Subaru is really starting to take off.
4. Less high-strung. The STi is a livable ride on the street, the Evo feels almost like it's in need of service when driven at normal speeds.

JLad10687
07-06-2004, 08:05 PM
I would definetly go with the STI. Evos are overated to me b/c so much is changed when they get shipped over from Japan. I may be wrong in my thoughts but thats how I look at most Japanese cars.

kman10587
07-07-2004, 12:49 AM
Yeah, that's one of the bad things about imports.

91_T-Bird_HO_5.0
07-07-2004, 01:11 AM
i personally wouldn't go with any mitsubishi, if you get a straight drive, you'll be kickin' your own ass for it when you have to replace the clutch, the clutch in a mitsubishi is hard as hell to replace, plus they wear out real easy

kman10587
07-07-2004, 01:32 AM
No kidding, my friend bought an 03 Evo and the clutch died at 3K, he never launched it or anything, and Mitsubishi refused to replace it under warranty.

redhorseV6
07-07-2004, 01:35 AM
to me the subaru looks better and definitely has a better reputation. performance wise (when pushed to the limits) it seems like they're about even, but if it were me i'd take the subaru.

kman10587
07-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Their performance is similar on a road course or rally course, but on the street, the extra half a liter helps a lot more than you'd think :)

DinanM3_S2
07-07-2004, 08:26 PM
As for reliability, neither of these cars is gunna be great. If you want a longer lasting car and are ok with a 2 seater, look into a Honda S2000 (awesome Honda transmission) or a Nissan 350z. I would personally take one of those over an Evo or an STi. Natural Aspiration > Turbo.

Now the STi and the EVO are pretty close in comparison, and what you should buy depends on what your looking for. The Evo is considered to have better handling out of the two. The STi comes stock with more power. Theres alot more potential in the STi's engine then the EVOs because the Evo has a massive turbo in comparison. The EVO is considered pretty difficult to modify. C&D did a pretty good comparison between these two cars about a year ago and the EVO won out, but not by much. If I were you, I would go out and test drive all four of the cars in this class and read as many articles comparing them as you can.

dj_louie
07-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Yeah... i'm leaning more into the wrx Sti....I just had something in the back of my head that saying i should find out more about the evo first...because out of all the new awd cars....theses are the most talked about comparising. But i guess so far the STI is better i guess.....but technically speaking and just driving on like everyday basis.....what is a better car. Thanx for the previous replys

dayna240sx
07-09-2004, 10:05 PM
As for reliability, neither of these cars is gunna be great.

What are you talking about? The reliability reports for the WRX is excellent.

kman10587
07-09-2004, 11:49 PM
dj louie: Short answer = STi. Long answer = read previous replies :)

baileypicks24
07-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Your best bet would to go to sportcompactcarweb.com and order one of their older issues in which they compared EVERY SINGLE SPEC between these two fine vehicles.

In the end the editors were split between the two, but it seemed like the older, "more mature" editors preferred the STi, while the younger guys preferred the Evo.

Liek everybody is saying they are both fine vehicles. Please read the comparo done in SCC!! I guarantee you will know whihc car suits you best after reading it.

Igovert500
07-19-2004, 02:53 AM
Buy a wrx...then with all the money you just saved you can dump it into mods and beat the piss out of an sti. And I'd go wrx/sti over evo just out of personal preference in driveability and looks.

Z_Fanatic
07-19-2004, 03:01 AM
Though I voted for the Sti, lesser of two evils, but they're getting around to be some overrated cars. I prefer to see them in WRC Rally Racing. With that much money, I'd go with what the other guy said, get a S2000 or 350Z convertible. You oughta have some fun other than just launching power and awd.

Add your comment to this topic!