Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The best Midsize Performance Car?

mason_RsX
07-04-2004, 06:32 PM
My family is selling both our cars and is looking for a midsize 4-door car with good performance, handling, and a good price... The cars I am looking at right now are BMW 320, Nissan Altima, Acura TL, Chrysler 300, Mazda6, and Pontiac Grand Prix...Could anybody help me figure out which car is best and if there are any I am really missing

Thanks

kman10587
07-04-2004, 07:52 PM
You absolutely have to check out the 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT. I guarantee you that it is faster than any of the cars listed there, it comes standard with AWD as opposed to FWD, and you can get it with a 5-speed automatic for about 27K.

drunken monkey
07-04-2004, 08:30 PM
i think the choice of car depends on what you're looking for and what's important to you.
from the ones you list, the only ones that stand out are the bmw and the mazda6.

i mean, for a personal buying point of view, the bmw makes the most sense as it has a decent engine, it's of good build quality and there's less depreciation (so it might cost a bit more to begin with but you get more back in the long term: assuming you don't prang it and have to fork out a big sum....).

the mazda6 seems to get the press's vote as a decent driving car but i don't think it sets any new records or anything.

some other recommendations?
if you're going to pay for a 320 then how about a good old jaguar x-type?
or a vw bora v5.
it's cheaper than the bmw and almost as fast and the build is right up there.
sticking with the bora there's the v6 4motion..
cheaper than the bmw and faster (but not as fun due to being heavy and 4 wheel drive)

don't laugh but the mondeo st220 (not sure if you guys get that) is a rather storming car at the same price of the bmw but with a 223 bhp v6 in the front.

on the japanese front, the old honda accord type-r is a damn fine front drive car but they'll be strictly 2nd hand so good luck in finding one that hasn't been abused (hmm, v-tec that hasn't been abused...)
on the other hand, the new type-s is a nice and solid looking car with almost the same pace but a useful £2-3000 cheaper than the bmw)

anymore...?

BP2K2Max
07-04-2004, 09:20 PM
I'd go with an Acura TL, the altima or a 2k2-3 maxima, and as kman said, i would look into a new subaru legacy.

mason_RsX
07-04-2004, 10:05 PM
I never thought of the legacy I guess because when I think subaru I think Impreza and the wrx/rs just doesnt have the dimensions we are looking for...I also thought of the jag but for the fact that I know its really a Ford and we have had a ton of problems with north american cars (especially fords).

I don't know what a modeno st220 is and I don't think they sell it in Canada...thanks so far for the insight and more is definately appreciated

Oldengineer
07-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Do a little more homework on the Jag X-Type. It shares only 20% of its parts with the 2nd generation European Ford Mondeo (Never sold in the US). The balance of the car is all Jag specific.

Regards:
Oldengineer

ghetto7o2azn
07-04-2004, 11:58 PM
jags never really had that great reliability

id say the tl as well.. i like the guages, and interior, plus it has 270hp right?

DinanM3_S2
07-05-2004, 12:14 AM
The cars you listed very alot in price and performance.

The 3-Series handles like a god but has a high price when you start adding on options. I would buy this car if you could. I consider it to be the best road car under $40,000

The Acura TL is good for a family car with some muscle, combined with Honda quality. Doesnt handle like the bimmer though.

The Chrysler 300 is a good car according to all accounts that I've seen. Theres no way it handles like the BMW or accelerates like the TL (even though the 300 is pretty strong). Big, strong American car, for much less then the Bimmer and the Acura.

I consider the Altima to be in a class below the cars I mentioned above. This is the essence of the typical family car. Big, well powered, boring. I believe the V6 Accord is alot better.

The Mazda 6 is in the price range of the Altima, but a little more fun, and a little less luxurious.

I would not wish the Pontiac Grand Prix upon any poor soul.

I also suggest test driving a V6 Accord, an Acura TSX (my choice under $28,000), the Subaru Legacy GT, Audi A4 Quattro, and the Toyota Avalon.

O, I'd also strongly consider taking a look at a used BMW E39 5-Series. Consumer reports called it the best car they've ever driven. Its won numerous awards from respected car mags, and you should be able to find a 525i or even a 530i under $30,000.

The family car market is one of the biggest in the Auto Industry. There are tons of choices that you could make. Make a list of priorities (ie. looks, performance, price range, handling, etc) and do your research based on what you consider your highest priorities. There is no "perfect car." There will always be a certain advantages one car has over another in the same class. Make sure you also test drive all of your options. I've known people who have gone to one dealership and to test drive a car, fallen in love with and buying the car without driving any others, and later regretting it.

Jimster
07-05-2004, 01:21 AM
jags never really had that great reliability

id say the tl as well.. i like the guages, and interior, plus it has 270hp right?
Get with the times, the last time Jag's reliability was ever questionable was back in the days of the XJ40 and XJS- both off-shoots of thier days in the BMC, 'nuff said.

I wouldn't take the Jag though. I think the Altima and TL offer the best engines, the Mazda and BMW the best handling, the Chrysler the best space and the Grand Prix.... Well absolutely nothing actually.

If I wanted a smooth luxurious ride, then I'd have the TL, if I wanted space for the family (not that I have much of one) then it's the Chrysler, if I wanted something to trash around and have fun with- the BMW.

crayzayjay
07-05-2004, 03:41 AM
Take the BMW. Smooth engine, perfect weight distribution and of course RWD :D

kman10587
07-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Yeah, FWD sucks. Get the BMW or the Legacy.

Savior1974
07-05-2004, 06:26 AM
BMW all they way. "The Ultimate Driving Machine" nuff said.

drunken monkey
07-05-2004, 10:46 AM
..maybe i should point out that my views are based on the cars we get here in the uk, which may or may not be different spec to the ones you guys get that side of the world.

as for bmw and their 'ultimate driving machine' advertising slogan (regarding rear wheel drive).

don't believe it totally.
it's almost a given that anything under 220-250 bhp and you're better off with a front drive (see honda/acura accord+integra type-r, alfa 147+156 gta).
the main advantage of rear wheel drive over front wheel drive is that it can handle MORE power (although recent offerings from alfa and some of their tuners have shown otherwise...)

but still.
the bmw is always going to be an attractive package.
again, if you don't mind getting a second hand car, how about the last M5.
it's a bigger car but it's in a similar price range and you can't really argue with their V8.

BP2K2Max
07-05-2004, 11:40 AM
get a g35.

MexSiR
07-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Bmw or Acura Tl.

Period.

DinanM3_S2
07-05-2004, 02:07 PM
..maybe i should point out that my views are based on the cars we get here in the uk, which may or may not be different spec to the ones you guys get that side of the world.

as for bmw and their 'ultimate driving machine' advertising slogan (regarding rear wheel drive).

don't believe it totally.
it's almost a given that anything under 220-250 bhp and you're better off with a front drive (see honda/acura accord+integra type-r, alfa 147+156 gta).
the main advantage of rear wheel drive over front wheel drive is that it can handle MORE power (although recent offerings from alfa and some of their tuners have shown otherwise...)

but still.
the bmw is always going to be an attractive package.
again, if you don't mind getting a second hand car, how about the last M5.
it's a bigger car but it's in a similar price range and you can't really argue with their V8.

Im not sure about pricing of a used E39 M5 in europe, but here in the states your gunna have a hard time finding one under $50,000, let alone around the price of a new 3-series or an Acura TL. A 530i on the other hand is much more realistic for this guys price range. Another option would be a used E36 M3 4-door. Not as big or nice as the E46, but its quicker then a regular 3-series and handles incredibly well. Car & Driver found that the E36 handled better then the NSX, Supra, Viper, Corvette, and the Porsche 911.

kman10587
07-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Oh well, getting back on topic, I think the best midsize performance car you can buy for $30,000 is the 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT...there's a whole host of cars you could buy used, but I'll assume that your parents would prefer to buy new.

mason_RsX
07-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Yes my parents don't want a used car and the hassle that can come with it...But a used M3 would be amazing....either way all these suggestions are helping alot...I am going to to alot more serious research on the legacy, and the x type....again thank you all for your help and again if you have more opinions I will definately consider them

aznxthuggie
07-05-2004, 03:47 PM
My family is selling both our cars and is looking for a midsize 4-door car with good performance, handling, and a good price... The cars I am looking at right now are BMW 320, Nissan Altima, Acura TL, Chrysler 300, Mazda6, and Pontiac Grand Prix...Could anybody help me figure out which car is best and if there are any I am really missing

Thanks

ok sorry but from your list.. i only like 2.. the acura tl.. and the altima.. BUT not just any altima.. it has to either be the V6.. or you can wait for the new SE-R model.. it should beat the crap out of the rest of the altimas.. also u MUST check out the subaru legacy.. if i had $ i would buy that car right now no questions asked.. it was car of the year in japan for either 2003 or 2004 i forgot which one.. but it uses a 2.5 liter H4 engine.. which is kinda like a detuned 2.5 usdm sti engine (because in japan its 2.0 liters right? im not sure) but it has standard awd.. turbo.. and has great styling for 05.. i would also recommend the g35.. and the scion tC (even tho its kinda in a different class) its great for the value.. just think a small solara

ghetto7o2azn
07-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Get with the times, the last time Jag's reliability was ever questionable was back in the days of the XJ40 and XJS- both off-shoots of thier days in the BMC, 'nuff said.

i never said that jags reliability was horrible or anything, i said it was never great... do u really think that jag can beat honda in reliability currently? i doubt it

kman10587
07-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Yeah, the Legacy uses a de-tuned STi engine. The new Altima SE-R looks really nice, but I'd still take the Legacy, for AWD and stock turbo.

Oldengineer
07-05-2004, 10:31 PM
i never said that jags reliability was horrible or anything, i said it was never great... do u really think that jag can beat honda in reliability currently? i doubt it

Check the latest J. D. Powers - Jag is now number 3, after Lexus and Caddy.

Regards:
Oldengineer

mason_RsX
07-06-2004, 07:03 AM
I forgot to mention that while I was looking at the legacy I found that in Canada it does not come with the turbocharged engine, only with the 2.5L 165hp engine. That does change alot about my perception of this car because now power wise it is now the weakest of the group...The jog is looking a ton better as well.

Jimster
07-06-2004, 07:38 AM
The Legacy GT that I know of comes with an EJ20T. But if there is an EJ25T, then I'll be tempted by the Subie.

drunken monkey
07-06-2004, 11:07 AM
....on an almost unrelated note, i think it sounds 'sexier' to tell someone you drive a jaguar than any of the others mentioned so far....

i don't mean the car, the word itself..... jaguar....

anyway.
what do you guys think of alfa romeo 156s?
we have quite a good dealer network building up here.
what's it like around your parts?

Jimster
07-07-2004, 12:08 AM
....on an almost unrelated note, i think it sounds 'sexier' to tell someone you drive a jaguar than any of the others mentioned so far....

i don't mean the car, the word itself..... jaguar....

anyway.
what do you guys think of alfa romeo 156s?
we have quite a good dealer network building up here.
what's it like around your parts?
I used to work for FIAT, the 156's would be great cars if they didn't require the worlds most religious maintenence and had a decent electrical system. I should know, I had two V6's myself.

At the moment however, Alfa Romeo remains unavailable in the US, there are rumors of a 2007 comeback though, we'll just have to wait and see.

Cro
07-07-2004, 12:20 AM
I'd go with the bmw. I do like the chrysler 300, but it comes with very few features, thus the low price (doesnt even have abs standard). Of course you can add options, but that adds up especially if you go with the v8.

kman10587
07-07-2004, 12:52 AM
I'm 99% sure the Legacy is coming with an EJ25T for 2005 in Canada, because one of my Canadian friends from Toronto test-drove a preview car a couple of weeks ago. Anyways, if not the Legacy, I'd go with the BMW.

Jimster
07-07-2004, 01:16 AM
I'd go with the bmw. I do like the chrysler 300, but it comes with very few features, thus the low price (doesnt even have abs standard). Of course you can add options, but that adds up especially if you go with the v8.
ABS not standard??? That is some form of sick joke, right?

kman10587
07-07-2004, 01:36 AM
Nope, it's a company stuck 10 years in the past, Mercedes-Benz's past, that is.

aznxthuggie
07-07-2004, 01:50 AM
http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2004055

this is jdpower's "vehicle dependability study" or their reliability test.. they test cars that are 3 years old.. and see what kind of problems they have.. i dont see jaguar on top.. in fact jag is right under dodge which is pretty sad.. and im surprised that nissan is below the industry average

and just for fun... heres another jdpower thing
http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2004037

thats the initial quality ranking.. the BS that hyundai uses on their commercials.. i guess that means how good the car is when you get it.. even tho korean cars are moving up they still are the worse cars when it comes to reliability

Jimster
07-07-2004, 01:58 AM
I'm shocked to see Subaru ranked so low as well. Either way I don't trust JD Power survey's at all, unless I'm taking a vague look at satisfaction of ownership. It's a known fact that those who are pissed off often speak louder than those who are satisfied and unless every vehicle registered is surveyed, then it's a moot point.

Also look at the huge seperation between Chevrolet, Buick and Pontiac- these are all basically the same cars, yet the results are so different, leading me to be skeptical.

kman10587
07-07-2004, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I've never trusted J.D. Powers. I know from real-life observations and experiences that Subaru is one of the most reliable companies.

Oldengineer
07-08-2004, 11:46 PM
Nice thing about Jag and BMW is their new car warranty is 50K with free maintenance. An even better deal - pick up a low mileage 1 year old one certified through a dealer - carries a 100K warranty.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Add your comment to this topic!