Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Want to add an amp for a pair of 8's

poulpaya
07-04-2004, 05:42 PM
I looked for a thread that addressed this but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have a 2001 and Im satisfied with the audio except the bass. I'm going to replace the factory sub with a Kicker comp vr 8''. Then I'm going to buy the q-Logic sub enclosure (front center console) and put another 8'' comp vr in it. I have a Fosgate 2 channel 300s amp to drive them but I have no idea where to get my signal from. I don't have on star and Im not sure if there is a set of rca's on the back of the factory head unit? I do have a cassette deck above my CD storage bin. ( I want to keep it factory looking ) Should I get my signal from the wires going to the factory sub? Should I get the signal from the factory amp?

What is the easiest way to do all this?

Someone said you can put a small amp in the right side rear compartment.

Thanks for any help

tdsmall
07-08-2004, 09:05 AM
Just had a amp and 2- 8" subs hooked up in my 01 Yukon, there was not RCA jacks on the stereo, had to purchase a converter, then decided to take it to a pro because I didnt have a wiring diagram, from what they told me they hooked this converter directly to factory speaker wires along the door panel for the signal. This converter cant be hooked up to close to stereo because of interference or some such. My factory speakers still run on factory amp, we didnt alter that at all, so my new amp is hooked up to just run my 2 additional subs, system sounds great, music is clear, you can actually understand the words to the music. I dont get a really deep booming bass but that's ok because thats not what I was looking for. Only problem I have found is when you turn the radio off or volume down there is some motor noise coming through the subs which I'm told is pretty typical on a GMC/Cheve truck. Make sure you buy a good power cord and RCA Cables to help eliminate as much of this as possible and keep them away from each other. If you have never done this before be very carefully with cutting wires and such you could make a big mess, that's why I opted for a pro, bought my own hook ups(much cheaper) and they only charged $75.00 for the install, was well worth it. Good Luck to you.

Add your comment to this topic!