Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant Loss, then overheating

grant116
07-04-2004, 11:31 AM
happy fourth of july everyone!

But down to business, 92 buick regal 3.8L

I am loosing coolant at a very rapid speed, low coolant light appears a couple of minutes after i have started the engine, then shortly following is the temperature light, i am blessed with only having the lights, no temp gauge(unfortunatly)

I have changed the radiator cap, thermostat, and water pump, still having the same problem. When i fill the cooling system it seems like any overflow is coming out somewhere below the water pump, checked the seal on the gasket and i cant find a leak there, but it seems like it is on the lower passenger side of the engine, I am stumped? any ideas would be great

tman
07-04-2004, 01:11 PM
chaeck your oil, there may be an internal leak. If it is overfull or milky in color, you need either the intake, or head gaskets replaced.

grant116
07-04-2004, 01:14 PM
chaeck your oil, there may be an internal leak. If it is overfull or milky in color, you need either the intake, or head gaskets replaced.

would an internal leak like that cause such a rapid loss in coolant leak, or would it be something a little slower?

grant116
07-04-2004, 01:19 PM
checked the oil, dipstick, and the fill cover, no signs of a milky color, looked normal, just changed that a week ago. I was reading a haynes manual and it said to check the engine drain, or water jacket core plugs, unfortunatly i can not find any other info in the manual on this. That is the only other thing under their external coolant leakage troubleshooting section i have not completed???

tman
07-04-2004, 02:22 PM
clean under where it sits, and leave it for a day or two without moving it, look on the ground for spots, and trace them to the engine.

grant116
07-04-2004, 05:23 PM
I found the general region where it is coming from, when under the car looking up between the oil pan and tranny pan that is where the coolant comes down, it is leaking somewhere under the water pump, right now i am letting it dry out down there before i resume the search for the leak, the view from below is blocked so i can not see that, and from the top u can not see it either

Ruley73
07-06-2004, 09:52 AM
I am willing to bet that your lower intake gaskets are leaking. My leak was below and behind the throttlebody on the lower intake. This is a common problem for this engine. I know it sounds odd because the coolant ends up on the other side of the car before it hits the ground, but mine was the same way except I wasn't loosing as much antifreeze. Mine was barely noticeable, maybe a couple of drops per week. If you have already traced the leak to around the water pump, I would check the short black heater hose fitting that comes out the passenger side of the lower intake (not the long one that points up). It has a small hose on it that is routed to the water pump. This hose fitting frequently fails on this engine also.

tman
07-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Ruley is talking about the bypass hose, which is pretty easy to get to, you need to remove the belt, and the alternator, and you'll have access to the two hose clamps that hold the hose to the water pump and liwer intake. You should use a small inspection mirror beforehand to make sure this is where your leak is.

grant116
07-06-2004, 07:15 PM
he is right, i found that out yesterday when i got a chance to look at it more, took the alternator off and saw the the plastic tubing that the hose attached to had broken off at the block, i am in the process of trying to remove what is left in the block without screwing up the threads, pretty tough so far, i was told by a gm mechanic to take a hacksaw blade and cut the fitting in half, and then tap it out with a screwdriver, went to the dealership this morning before work and the guy at the parts counter recongnized the part right away and said you need a metal one, seems like he has seen this a couple of times, thank you for the help. I'll let you know if i get it out without really screwing anything else up

grant116
07-06-2004, 07:17 PM
anyone w/ this vehicle I would recomend replacing this part, it runs $15.00 at the dealer, went to oreily's and they could not find it, but i have already spent two hours trying to remove the remains of the horrible plastic original part

Ruley73
07-07-2004, 12:17 AM
When I replaced the fitting on my car I got it at O'Reilly for $6. I only knew it existed because it is a featured part in the Dorman parts book where I work (AutoZone). I couldn't remember the part number, otherwise I'd a told you about it. We had to order it, O'Reilly had it in stock so that's why I wnet there to get it.

tman
07-07-2004, 02:24 AM
I've not replaced it, and wont until it fails. I know I sound stupid saying that, but I recently replaced my bypass hose, and the fitting was as strong as ever.

Ruley73
07-07-2004, 09:50 PM
I checked on the part numbers today at work. The heater hose fitting is Dorman part #56359 and GM part #25535749. This fitting is only found on the VIN code L 3800 engine; NOT the newer VIN code K 3800 Series II. This would only include 1990-1995 Regals.

Tidus05
07-08-2004, 04:56 AM
I've not replaced it, and wont until it fails. I know I sound stupid saying that, but I recently replaced my bypass hose, and the fitting was as strong as ever.

My car did had the same problem, but the way my uncle fixed it was that he put a new radiator, and a new upper hose, and a thermstat.

maybe you might need an new upper hose, well to fix the overheating anyways, if not that, check to see if the cooling fan is working.

Add your comment to this topic!