Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help with custom dome light

slim720
07-04-2004, 04:04 AM
ok here's what i want to do. I want to to get a bright blue light as my dome. Unfortunately, if I ever need to use my dome on the road this will be illegal (I've talked to some local cops and they said that any time that they see any blue interior lights they pull that person over). So I'll also need to leave the stock dome in and install a switch in case i need to use the stock dome on the road. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Can I just buy a generic switch and splice the positive dome light through it in the dome, or will i need to run a whole new set of wires? Thanks for the help fellas (and of course any ladies that would be kind enough to impart their wisdom).

PaulD
07-04-2004, 08:34 AM
power wise, you should be able to just splice into the existing wiring since you are only gonna be using one of the lights at a time. Mounting is gonna be a different story. Try this ...... just get a replacent lens and color it on the inside with a marker - then keep the orginal if you ever need it. Or just take the lens off if you think it's gonna be a problem.

huflungdung5342
07-05-2004, 12:21 AM
use blue leds. Just make sure you get the correct resistors on there. And make sure your dome isn't tinted yellowish slightly or is dirty. My friend did the same to all of the interior lights in his car and they were tinted. Ended up being an ugly greenish blue color :disappoin

Navy I.C.
07-05-2004, 05:18 PM
we use three way switches everyday in the navy.
pos.1-white light
pos.2-off
pos.3-red darkened ship lights
you can pick up the switch from radio shack, just make sure you use a white or clear lense, or no lense at all

Add your comment to this topic!