Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Legalazation??

jcsaleen
07-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Is it possible to get an f1 (0lder like an o1) legalized for the road in the U.s or any other country for that matter. If not can the show car liscence pertain to an F1 car.

ales
07-04-2004, 02:05 AM
In short: no. F1 cars are race cars and are allowed to run on enclosed racetracks only (or other enclosed stretches of road for show, etc.)

simdel1
07-05-2004, 02:53 PM
even with extensive modifications it would be highly difficult to get an f1 car to be alowed on the road. It would have to follow the legislation for kit cars which at the very least would require a higher ride height and to have all the correct lights retro-fitted at the correct height. things like the front and rear wings may be deemed as dangerous to pedestrians and the drive-by noise will be way too high requiring the addition of silencers, perhaps a cat and some drastic detuning of the engine.

basically its just too difficult.

jcsaleen
07-05-2004, 07:47 PM
But the thing is , is that people who own an f1 are extremely rich and couyld diffinetly afford it.

freakray
07-06-2004, 08:00 AM
But the thing is, people that own an F1 actually have the car because they want an F1 car, not some sort of street hybrid.

jcsaleen
07-06-2004, 09:44 AM
You never know. :grinno:

07-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Can't it be registered as a track/show car and only be driven 2500 miles a year?

AErrorist
07-06-2004, 10:53 AM
You forgot fenders, its gotta have fenders. Basically, just forget about it, go to an SCCA Auto Cross event, then race it in A modified and blow your competition out of the water. In fact the may make a new class for you by yourself, Super Modified, because a Formula 1 car would destroy everything at AutoXs in my area, regardless of driver.

jcsaleen
07-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Can't it be registered as a track/show car and only be driven 2500 miles a year?

Very true I asked that in 1 of my other threads the problem is if its your only car ur goin to way over 2500 miles

jcsaleen
07-06-2004, 10:55 AM
You forgot fenders, its gotta have fenders. Basically, just forget about it, go to an SCCA Auto Cross event, then race it in A modified and blow your competition out of the water. In fact the may make a new class for you by yourself, Super Modified, because a Formula 1 car would destroy everything at AutoXs in my area, regardless of driver.

Hahaha Some1 has to do that.

simdel1
07-06-2004, 01:04 PM

its still needs the things that make a car road legal. as i mentioned above.

simdel1
07-06-2004, 01:06 PM
You forgot fenders, its gotta have fenders.

oh yeah. well that would be easy enough, just use cycle fenders like on the front of a caterham/westfield/lotus 7 thing.

having said that, hot rods that are built from scratch and are therefore not classed as a classic car dont have to have fenders.....

jcsaleen
07-06-2004, 01:23 PM
oh yeah. well that would be easy enough, just use cycle fenders like on the front of a caterham/westfield/lotus 7 thing.

having said that, hot rods that are built from scratch and are therefore not classed as a classic car dont have to have fenders.....

Good Point! :1: I agree in my town there are plenty of Hot rods and they all have open wheels.

ac427cpe
07-20-2004, 04:06 AM

eh, no it wouldn't. it would probably be destroyed. for autoX: gearing is wrong, aerodynamics is wrong, the car is TOO BIG... there are so many factors agains it. F1 cars were designed as high speed track cars, and as such they will only be able to be effectively used in that manner.

hot rods are based off of a pre-existing vehicle (in some sence). they adhere to specifications set down by the DOT (here in the US) and hence, are road legal.

a Formula One car, by design, is built to race. not to be driven on the street. many streets in the states you probably couldn't drive it on just by the car's design. and when you alter that design to drive it on the street, it is no longer a F1 car; the entire point is moot.

flat out, you cannot make a racecar road legal.

if you do, it is no longer a racecar.

jcsaleen
07-20-2004, 10:48 AM
No most hot rods dont have to comply with it cause their A. kit cars or B. over 25 years old so they dont have to comply with most standards.

Mr. Sketchy
11-20-2004, 02:59 AM
F1 cars have a clutch that has two settings engaged and disengaged, not to mention that they idle at around 3000 rpms. It would not likely be a car you could drive in traffic, even with the traction control

AErrorist
12-14-2004, 10:35 PM
eh, no it wouldn't. it would probably be destroyed. for autoX: gearing is wrong, aerodynamics is wrong, the car is TOO BIG... there are so many factors agains it. F1 cars were designed as high speed track cars, and as such they will only be able to be effectively used in that manner.

Yeah, the gearing would have to be drastically changed, and it probaly does have to much wing. It would be fun to try, I'm sure you could pull it off. I'm told my region has the biggest C-mod class in the country (we have like 8 or 9 cars running at any given event next year), those cars are just cool. I think I'll just keep driving my Volvo though.

crimsonkarter21
12-30-2004, 08:15 AM
You forgot fenders, its gotta have fenders. Basically, just forget about it, go to an SCCA Auto Cross event, then race it in A modified and blow your competition out of the water. In fact the may make a new class for you by yourself, Super Modified, because a Formula 1 car would destroy everything at AutoXs in my area, regardless of driver. An F1 driving on a well made SCCA auto course is very bad;
a.) the car couldn't take the roughness of the track, thats why there are only 19 (including Mexico) race venues in over 180 some countries

b.) those tracks are made for lower horsepower sedans, sportcaqrs, and low-power open-wheels

c.) not enough safety barriers, it will be deemed unsafe.

ferraricali
12-30-2004, 01:06 PM
they do have some sort of street legal indy style car
http://www.formula1street.com/index.html

pretty interesting....never saw one though

Add your comment to this topic!