Driving with a full van....

wykydseptyr
07-02-2004, 07:27 PM
....I just bought a Ford Club Wagon circa 1989. I am about to take a long ass journey north with the thing stuffed to the gills. Normally when I drive I have the two D options. Slow D and Over D or as my wife calls it the white thingy D. With the van full of heavy materials should I avoid using the Over D? Does it matter should i drive it like I always (1 Month) do? :banghead:

crs5357
07-22-2004, 12:12 PM
I would drive with OD disengaged. Just my thought. Is this one with a 302 v-8?

landyacht
07-23-2004, 10:57 AM
I'd say use the overdrive on the flat roads as you'll optimize your fuel economy, and drop it to regular drive when/if you encounter steeper hills.

Other then that, just give lots of time to merge and brake and you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip!

HomeThtrLA
11-13-2004, 09:59 PM
I'd say use the overdrive on the flat roads as you'll optimize your fuel economy, and drop it to regular drive when/if you encounter steeper hills.

Other then that, just give lots of time to merge and brake and you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip!

That's totally right. I have a 1988 with 150,000 miles on it and LOADS of tools, supplies and stuff...so much that it ALWAYS runs smoothly.

Looking at the manual and having driven it this way for almost two years, I would say that you can leave it in big D (overdrive) until you are going up a hill. Then shift down before it does, because the motor and the transmission will be under less stress when at higher motor speeds.

Add your comment to this topic!