spark plugs......

biggunsjk
07-02-2004, 06:38 PM
i have a 2000 gt 3.8 non super i pulled out the stock plugs ans they were the ac platniums i went and installed ac iridiums are these just as good or what else should i use and the correct gap thankyou

BIG-L
07-03-2004, 01:42 AM
AC changed plugs in the past year and a half,from Platinum to Iridium and the part # is 41-101 and gapped at .060......the funny part of it is on the porcelain it says AC Delco but on the lower part of the plug on the metal it says NGK :screwy: so the plug is made by NGK for AC Delco.,...............~Larry~

GrandPrix1999
02-25-2005, 06:12 PM
I have a 99 gt with 66000 miles and I'm planning to change the plugs are those the exact plugs and gap I should use? AC Delco 41-101 at .060

BIG-L
02-25-2005, 07:37 PM
I have a 99 gt with 66000 miles and I'm planning to change the plugs are those the exact plugs and gap I should use? AC Delco 41-101 at .060

Yep !

Pontiac used to use the AC-Delco 41-921 double platinum plug.About a year or so they switched to the AC-Delco 41-101 which is an Iridium plug.

The AC-Delco 41-101 is for both the GT/GTP.Stock gap is .060

~Larry~

GrandPrix1999
02-26-2005, 12:40 AM
Sweet, now i just have to make sure i know how to do everything it takes to get them out properly :sunglasse

kustomkid54
02-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Sweet, now i just have to make sure i know how to do everything it takes to get them out properly :sunglasse

When you get to the back ones, as long you know how to swear, you'll have it made.

carnutcass
02-26-2005, 11:22 AM
A couple of tips on changing spark plugs on the '97-'03 Grand Prix, if I may.

Use spark plug boot removal pliers if you have them.....especially if you've never changed the plugs before. It seems that GM did not use dialectric grease on them when they built our engines. Consequently, the boots have a tendancy to "cook" to the plugs. Make sure you slobber some dialectric grease on the porcelain part of your new plugs as you reassemble.

Reuse the factory heat sheilds that came with the car.....unless of course you're using specialty wires that are made to withstand higher temps, like the MSD Super Conductors.

Remove your engine cover support bracket from the rear of the engine. This will allow you to change the rear (right bank) plugs without having to rock the engine forward. Reinstal this bracket if you intend to use your engine cover. Leave it off if you don't....you'll save a couple pounds.

Use a universal joint and short extension for the #6 plug. The O2 sensor is in the way and you will end up pissed if you don't use a universal joint. Trust me on this!

Kneel on the radiator supprting cross member to change the rear (right bank) plugs. This will make it easier to reach them and make you less likely to dent or scratch a fender.

You may want to make sure you do this procedure while parts stores are open. If you break a plug wire....and it can happen, no matter how many years you've been working on cars........you'll be dead in the water! Better yet, go ahead and plan to change plug wires at the same time. Our wires tend to remain servicable for 100,000+ miles but I can tell you from personal experience that you can damage a wire that has as little as 40,000 miles on it. :loser: I know this!

Not to make this a sales pitch but, if you are interested in replacing your wires but are a little low on scratch, I have a NEW set I can sell you. These are the Ultra Spark wires AutoZone sells for $45. I had to buy them because I broke my #1 wire. Only the number one wire was used...and it was only used for about 2000 miles. $20+freight and their yours. I also have a set of the factory plug wire boot heat shields if you need them as well.

njsp
03-01-2005, 12:32 AM
I have a 95 Grand Prix with 135,000 that I purchased last year from a guy that really took good care of it and it runs great. My question is I purchased a set of Bosch Platinum 2's and Bosch wire set and installed them 3 days ago. I have since noticed it "bogging" around 3000 once or twice. I have been reading posts about people not liking the Bosch plugs and that AC Delco OEM plugs should be used but which ones should I switch the Bosch out for? The AC Delco Standard plug, the Platinum plug, or the Rapidfire plug? Thanks!

kustomkid54
03-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Yep !

Pontiac used to use the AC-Delco 41-921 double platinum plug.About a year or so they switched to the AC-Delco 41-101 which is an Iridium plug.

The AC-Delco 41-101 is for both the GT/GTP.Stock gap is .060

~Larry~

Read this one again.

Jim

BIG-L
03-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Read this one again.

Jim,he has a 1995 GP,which use's different plugs then 97/03

I have a 95 Grand Prix with 135,000 that I purchased last year from a guy that really took good care of it and it runs great. My question is I purchased a set of Bosch Platinum 2's and Bosch wire set and installed them 3 days ago. I have since noticed it "bogging" around 3000 once or twice. I have been reading posts about people not liking the Bosch plugs and that AC Delco OEM plugs should be used but which ones should I switch the Bosch out for? The AC Delco Standard plug, the Platinum plug, or the Rapidfire plug? Thanks!

Not sure if you have the 1995 3.4 or 3.1.But id stick with a Platinum plug.

3.4 AC-Delco 41-932 @ .060

3.1 AC-Delco 41-908 @ .060

jimmytroanoke
03-01-2005, 11:19 AM
What the he## has happened to Bosch. They used to be the cats ass in just about everything they made. My area is blanketed with Advance auto stores who really push them, but I have learned the hard way not to touch them. In my 2 ford modular V8s the bosch plugs (Double Platinum) ran less than 20k miles before gunking up. The OEM's went 75k plus. Replaced with OEM from dealer and problem solved. I won't even waste my time with anything else. I have heard the same deal about their O2 sensors.

BIG-L
03-01-2005, 12:12 PM
What the he## has happened to Bosch. They used to be the cats ass in just about everything they made. My area is blanketed with Advance auto stores who really push them, but I have learned the hard way not to touch them.

With the old Bosch line (standard Super Plugs) they where fine,but then they came out with plugs that are not engine specific,like Platinum,Platinum2,Platinum+4.Buy the meaning of engine specific,they are not the correct heat range for most motors and seem to foul out very fast.Bosch may only make about 20 different plugs,in say the Platinum series and what fits our cars,may also fit 100 different makes and models of cars.That means for the retailer,it takes up less space on the shelf and more room for other parts.

Years ago (1978) Accel use to buy there plugs from Bosch and use the Super plug and put there name on them.Now Accel buys there plugs from Nippon Denso or now they are Denso.ND plugs have been around for year's and had a design called a U-Groove plug.Now for the past 20 years Accel has been using the same U-Groove plug from ND.Just a little history on the Accel plug/Bosch/ND :wink:

Denso U-Groove plug
http://www.densoiridium.com/graphics/ico_spark.gif

ACCEL U-Groove performance spark plugs
http://go.mrgasket.com/e-images04-350//8176.jpg

georoid
06-18-2005, 01:34 AM
I have 2000 Grand Prix SE 3.1
Can I use Iridium spark plug?

I checked at AD Delco website and they recommeded to use platinum plug or rapid fire plug. And I found that iridium plug is recommended for 3.8 engines.

Thanks in advance

Add your comment to this topic!