Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Opinions on this Please !!

tmf2
07-01-2004, 08:48 PM
My wifes 96 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 v6 had a severe leak
I brought it to a local garage to replace the
rear main seal. Cost $500. On the reciept the
mechanic stated oil was observed on the drivers side of the
motor and said it very well could be a head gasket which
would cost $1500.00 to repair this in my opinon seems a little
excessive. I cleaned the undercarriage and after a couple of days
I noticed overnite a spot the size a quarter of oil on the floor
seep seems from the passanger side not drivers side. I asked about a
compression test and he said it would not show anything in this case
because if it is a head gasket leak its not affecting the
combustion chamber.

Isn't 1500 a little high to change the problem head gasket??

amigo-2k
07-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Nope 1500 sounds about right.

The last car I had it replaced cost 1200.00 and that was 5 years ago.

It totally depends on your setup. Call around and see if you can find a cheaper price.
-Ryan

woffles
07-02-2004, 04:02 AM
Make sure it's not a valve cover leaking instead of a head gasket. They make a dye you can put in your oil that shows up with ultraviolet light to track it. I've never switched out a head gasket on one of these but it can't be much different then doing a V8. Just a lot more crap to remove to get to the head. That's the main thing you are paying for. A lot of labor. With the over head cam I assume the front has to come off to remove the timing belt. None of it is overly technical just time consuming. I tend to do all my own work unless something needs machining then I'll take it off and take it to a machine shop. Has anyone here done this? Do you have to pull the motor to get to it on one of these? Good luck. Hopefully it's just a valve cover leaking.

rodeo02
07-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Like woffles says, this is most likely just a valve cover gasket- which is common on the 1992-1997's. Yes, cylinder head/gasket work on the 3.2 will require timing belt removal, which in itself is a bunch of labor. You would probably be getting performance issues, coolant leaks, compression loss if you had a bad head gasket.
G/luck
Joel

95.5 Rodeo
07-03-2004, 12:25 PM
I agree with the last two posts. Check the valve cover gaskets, a very common problem. An easy way to get an idea of their condition is to remove the spark plug wires from the valve cover and inspect them. If you see oil on the wire ends, chances are the valve cover gaskets are shot. You can also use a mirror and look at the valve cover / cylinder head mating edge to be sure. Look around the back of the cylinder head, near the firewall.

It is possible, but I doubt the head gasket is bad.

Dale

rodeo02
07-03-2004, 01:04 PM
.... An easy way to get an idea of their condition is to remove the spark plug wires from the valve cover and inspect them. If you see oil on the wire ends, chances are the valve cover gaskets are shot...
Dale

Dale, the plug tower gaskets are a separate issue. There's an "O" ring on each plug tower tube that seals off the cylinder head from the plug tube. Valve cover gasket is separate.
G/luck
Joel

95.5 Rodeo
07-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Yes, this is true.

I figure if the plug tower tube is leaking, the valve cover gaskets are probably in the same condition. :)

Dale

Add your comment to this topic!