Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hooking up sub and amp

Jed_Atreides
07-01-2004, 08:27 PM
I swapped out my sub and amp with a friend's sub and amp. I'm not getting the max performance out of either one.

how do I set it up? (http://web.tampabay.rr.com/section9/pix/amp.jpg)

please just save that image and draw on it and repost or something.
Any help would be great. Thanks.

ps: drew that in photoshop. Pardon the 3 year-old style.

sofast
07-01-2004, 08:53 PM
what do you have for a setup friend. I will be happy to help

Civic_D16Y5
07-01-2004, 11:56 PM
are the kits already hooked up?
if they arent get that done, dont know jack about that, but i can tell you which wires go where on your amp
get a voltometer
test the thickest wires, see which one is power and which one is ground, hook those uo to ur + & -
then ull have ur rca inputs, they go in the input slot
then the a little wire wire something like rem, bah i dont know, both my amps had this little near the power and ground

then from the amp depending on how many channels u have, will be little output slots, each channel has a + and - side, connect these wires to the + and - side of the subbux teminal, which hopefully is wired to ur sub

RSLaser
07-02-2004, 08:30 AM
little wire wire something like rem, bah i dont know, both my amps had this little

i think you meant the Remote wire. it makes it shut on and off with the HU, most HUs have a built in place to hook the wire, otherwise youll have to tap it into the remote for the stereo(use a test light to figure out which one it is). which will make it turn on and off witht the car instead of the HU.

Yea hook the RCAs to the back of the head unit and amp, hook the pos on the amp to thew car batt. hook the neg to a good ground on the chassis(look under the carpet). Now you have 2 choices:
1 hook the pos and negative cables to the speakers like normal. If its a 300 watt amp then they each get 150
2 /Bridge the speakers which gives you 300 watts to both. hook both of the speakers pos to one of the cannels, then hook both of the negative wires to the other channels neg.BEWARE some speakers and amps are not meant to be bridged, so check your owners guide to make sure!

Sorry smoe stuff has alreadty been posted just wanted to clear it up a little.

Civic_D16Y5
07-02-2004, 11:44 PM
rslaser, thanks, im jsut really new to all of this, but im learning, i had to learn because my old amp shorted and i plugged in all the wires to my new amp with out any help so i was really proud of my lame ass, either way, if im wrong on something i say, its because im learning and was told wrong.

Add your comment to this topic!