Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Does GM Have a Quality Control Department?

DZNZ
07-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Seriously. I mean, I think they really dropped the ball with the Jimmy model. I guess that is why they don't make it any more. I mean, thirty + on a vehicle and the seats are wearing through (common problem) at 40 thousand miles? How about mechanical issues? Ball Joints failing at 20 thousand? Terrible wiper problems that GM fails to acknowledge even though they recalled earlier versions for the same problem? Ignition switches at 50? C'mon! I have made more excuses for this truck -- but in the end, it is a POS. I like the ride, power, and handeling -- but this simply does not cancel out everything else.

That's my two cents for the day. Sorry.

denalio34ceo
07-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Sorry to hear that. My '94 with 120k is doing okay considering it's almost 11 years old.

JSayre
08-22-2004, 10:36 PM
I had a 96 with 175,000 miles & very few repairs. Traded it for a 99 & have had constant repairs. Both front bearings, all ball joints (ridiculous), idler arm, did my breaks at 50k & rotors & pads were absolutely DESTROYED. I bet my 96 is still on the road somwhere & having less probs. GM has serious quality control issues with 2nd generaton Jimmys (guess thats why there gone, blazer probably soon to follow)

narc-007
08-25-2004, 08:46 PM
:2cents: Though I'm usually cheesed when something goes wrong, I really don't have a lot of complaints. My 99 is at 196,000 (km), and I've had few costly repairs. The factory stereo died a couple of days ago - no surprise. Both Universal joints, an altenator, some new tires - lots of brakes - nothing huge to complain about. (Better not be for $40K...)But, I'm sure there's more to follow. (I've got a weird buzzing noise now... I posted about it in another thread... anyone have any ideas...) I guess the point is that theres a lemon in every bunch. Thankfully mine isn't one of them. Good Luck...

Teaman3
08-26-2004, 01:39 AM
Seriously. I mean, I think they really dropped the ball with the Jimmy model. I guess that is why they don't make it any more. I mean, thirty + on a vehicle and the seats are wearing through (common problem) at 40 thousand miles? How about mechanical issues? Ball Joints failing at 20 thousand? Terrible wiper problems that GM fails to acknowledge even though they recalled earlier versions for the same problem? Ignition switches at 50? C'mon! I have made more excuses for this truck -- but in the end, it is a POS. I like the ride, power, and handeling -- but this simply does not cancel out everything else.

That's my two cents for the day. Sorry.

I've got a 1988 4x4 GMC S15 Jimmy. If I said Generally Made by Chimpanzees, does that give you a clue ? http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

I've recently come to Canada from the UK. The build quality of North American vehicles is way behind European standards.

When my jimmy was built, I think there was a world shortage of mastic as nearly all the body shell joints are devoid of it. This caused rust in the front footwells by the chassis to body shell mounts, so beware other Jimmy owners. Water leaked in past the mounts, in through the floor pan drain holes, carpet trim pieces screw holes, the plastic blanking plate by the parking brake, bulkhead joints/holes and the roof rack mount holes. Oh yes, and through a bunch of "extra" screw holes where someone on the assembly line missed and tried again. Deep joy. Reminds me of British Leyland cars in the Seventies.

I'd rather drive a Renault.

Any idea of the steering geometry angles and toe ?

Brokebyford
10-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Does GM Have a Quality Control Department?
Yes.It's called your local ford dealer........

Add your comment to this topic!