Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny trouble

Soupnutz
06-30-2004, 08:32 AM
I've got a manual 98 gt, every once in a while the tranny will slip out of fourth gear. In the haynes manual it suggests a couple of things but the ones that make the most sense are the check balls, fork rod ball grooves, check springs, and synchronizers. It seems to happen more frequently during hard acceleration, but I've also tried shifting very gently and it still does it on occasion. What can I do to help troubleshoot it? Also, it's got a steeda tri-ax shifter installed on it, could it be something with it not being adjusted right, I don't know much about manuals but isn't there there stop adjusts and such in it?

StangNut86
06-30-2004, 11:15 AM
from what you're saying it sounds like a bad synchronizer. the teeth on each gear used to spline it to the mainshaft are designed in such a way to hold themselves on. if those wear out then the trans will not stay in gear. that's just one possibility. it could also be worn out trans fluid. i'd say, first thing you should do is take the fill plug out (about halfway up on the passenger's side) with just a 3/8 drive ratchet and small extension. put your finger in the hole and see if you can feel fluid. if you don't, drain it and refill it with new fluid. if you do feel it, make sure it's red and doesn't smell burned and acrid. also keep in mind there's no oil filter in a manual trans, so you if you refill it, i'd change it after a few hundred miles to get a flushing effect.

hope that helps.

StangNut86
06-30-2004, 11:18 AM
ok so i posted all that before you said 98GT.... and i was thinking t-5. so, the fill plug might not be in the same place and removing it might be slightly different. sorry =\

Soupnutz
06-30-2004, 11:42 AM
I'll check the fluid this weekend, if it's in the transmission itself is there any easy way to fix it other that having tranny rebuilt or replaced?

StangNut86
06-30-2004, 01:54 PM
I'll check the fluid this weekend, if it's in the transmission itself is there any easy way to fix it other that having tranny rebuilt or replaced?

unfortuantely no... i'd think that rebuilding would be your best option. it's really not that hard to drop a manual trans out of a car. just remember... the more work you can do yourself, the less you have to give mechanics =)

351wStang
06-30-2004, 09:47 PM
A Jasper trans may be your cheapest way out.

Soupnutz
07-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Do you know how much one costs? Found the website but it says nothing about pricing.

I also need to contact the old owner, (bought car used), but he had included some paperwork for stuff that was done to the car, at about 40k had had the transmission replaced and had purchased a warranty good up to 75k miles. Need to find out if its transferrable. The dealership its for is a couple hours away, but hey, if it saves me a few hunderd dollars it'll be worth it.

Soupnutz
07-01-2004, 11:34 PM
I popped it open today and checked the stop adjust on the shift lever, it was close but I don't think it was touching, I adjusted it back a bit for shits and giggles anyway. I also adjusted the handle down to its shortest throw position. I didn't do any extensive driving but It hasn't popped out of gear yet. Who knows, maybe I wasn't fully engaging the gear and now the shorter throw is making it easier for me. I'm still gonna check the fluid later today and I'll give it a couple more days and see what happens.

Add your comment to this topic!