Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

o2 sensor

none_ya
06-30-2004, 12:48 AM
hey guys, i just wanted to know if anyone knows wich side is bank 1 and 2 on. is one the driver side and two the passenger side? I need to know cause i need to change my friends o2 sensor? Also he said hes been having problems with his cooling system. He said every once in a while his temp guage goes a little over the 3/4 and then drops back down to normal then goes back up. What can be causing this? he also said that he needs to fill his radiator every three weeks or so. Any help with those two questions would be apretiated. thanx.

obadran
07-02-2004, 09:52 PM
From what I've read about O2 sensors there can be a Bank 1 sensor 1, Bank 1 sensor 2, Bank 2 sensor 1. I not sure exactly what Bank 1 and Bank 2 refer to, but sensor 1 should between the engine and the catalytic converter (ie. upstream) and sensor 2 is after the cat converter (ie. downstream).

As far as cooling problems...If there are no signs of external leaks, I would suspect a head gasket or an intake manifold gasket leak. I have 96 yukon and ran in a similar problem where the temp gauge would spike and I was experiencing coolant loss and having to refill the radiator often. Took it to the mechanic and found that my intake manifold gasket sprung a leak a coolant was mixing with engine oil. If I remember right, the gasket repair was around $600. If it is the head gasket, the price will be higher.

Hope this helps

c.connie
07-05-2004, 05:01 PM
hey guys, i just wanted to know if anyone knows wich side is bank 1 and 2 on. is one the driver side and two the passenger side? I need to know cause i need to change my friends o2 sensor? Also he said hes been having problems with his cooling system. He said every once in a while his temp guage goes a little over the 3/4 and then drops back down to normal then goes back up. What can be causing this? he also said that he needs to fill his radiator every three weeks or so. Any help with those two questions would be apretiated. thanx.
I just changed my bank 1 o2 sensor. Bank 1 & bank 2 are both on the pasenger side, but bank 1 is the one on the left towards the driver's side. Make sure it is not hot,you will get burned. Clear the code if it was on after it is replaced.

GMCTech
07-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Bank 1 is the left (driver's side) bank. 2 is right (pass. side).

Sensor 1,2,3 are the order that the sensors are in from the engine.

Ex. - Bank 1, Sensor 2 would be the second sensor downstream from the motor in the left bank of exhaust.

There is a point of confusion though. If your exhaust goes from 2 pipes into 1 (y-pipe), then the O2 sesnors all become bank 1.

So, your exhaust may only have 1 O2 sensor in bank 2 (before the y-pipe), and you may have 3 O2 sesnors in the left bank (one before they-pipe, one after the y-pipe, and one after the catalytic converter).

Hope this helps.

none_ya
07-06-2004, 10:27 PM
thanx for the help you guys that cleared up a lot for me.

Add your comment to this topic!