Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gear Shift Getting Hot

crucible
06-29-2004, 05:50 PM
I just noticed a month or so ago. Right after I had a new clutch put in. My truck is a '95 V6 4wd with 170K miles on it. The gear shift gets up to about 110°. I have noticed in the past when I am pulling the boat the transfer case gear shift gets warm but never the regular gear shift. There is nothing else weird going on. Anyone got any ideas? I just changed the oil in the transfer case, no metal shavings, and is a clearish brown color after 60K miles.

crucible
06-30-2004, 04:59 PM
I changed the transmission oil last night. The oil was a kind of a brownish red color. When the oil was just dripping out of the hole it had a bit of silvery tint to it. Then I stuck my finger in the drain hole and got some small metal chips to come out. Is this normal?

tacoma man.
07-01-2004, 03:40 PM
no it isnt, id get it flushed out. that way the metal
chips doesnt do any damage. as for the stick getting hot mine gets hot but i dont think its up
to 110, i will check it and see how hot it gets.

Brian R.
07-04-2004, 01:14 AM
There should be alot of metal on the magnetic drain plug also. Clean all the metal off the drain plug so that it can collect what you can't get to. It's important to scavange all the loose metal in the transmission. I would check the drain plug again soon after you've reinstalled the clean plug. Might be you've covered it again with new metal. Keep doing this until it doesn't collect any more metal, or at least a significant amount in a short period of time.

crucible
07-06-2004, 11:44 AM
I have heard this from a couple people about the plug. But it is not magnetic. I would think all Tacomas are the same though? One guy said it might have a large flat magnet at the base of the transmision case and that is what I was running my finger across. Anyone, know anything about that? Since I changed the oil the stick does not seem to get hot. I think I will change the oil again at the end of the week and see if there is any chips in it then. Thanks for the tips so far guys.

Brian R.
07-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Sure, instead of a magnetic drain plug, there may be flat magnets in the bottom. I would install a magnetic drain plug when I change the fluid. Normally, the flat magents are used in automatic transmissions, not manual.

crucible
07-19-2004, 11:07 AM
So I went on vacation pulling our boat fully loaded 400 miles. I also forgot to mention my air conditioning hasn't been working for the last 3 months. The fuse was burned out and I replaced it right before the trip. So we leave at 4:00 am and start driving to our destitination and sure enough the stick starts getting warm. Well the last 100 miles of the trip is the toughest, quite a few hills. It is about 10:00 am by now and starting to get warm out so I flip on the air conditioning. Low and behold the stick cools right off. I didn't even put 2 & 2 together until we left to come home, and I had the air conditioning on and the stick stayed cool. About 2:00 in the afternoon I turned the air conditioning off and rolled down the windows and stick started heating up again. The vents don't blow on the stick and the base of the stick gets hotter than the top. What the ???? Does the condensate from the air conditioner drip on to the transmission? Was it designed this way? This is weird.

Brian R.
07-20-2004, 12:34 AM
I think it is safe to say that the temperature of the stick has nothing to do with the temperature of the transmission. Forget about it.

Add your comment to this topic!