Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

problems w/94 tran fluid/error light

aap787s
06-28-2004, 09:45 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has had this problem. Over the past 3 days I have had to put in a quart of transmission fluid but I don't see or smell any leaks. The service engine soon light comes on & off and it is running rough. It has 172,000 miles on it.

Ruley73
06-29-2004, 12:00 AM
First off, are you properly checking the tranny fluid? What color is the fluid? (pink is best---->red is OK---->brown or black is bad) Remember, unlike checking the oil, the car needs to be driven for a short and at normal operating temp. before this can be checked. Also the amount between the ADD and FULL line on the dipstick is 1 PINT (1/2 quart) instead of 1 QUART like the engine oil. If you overfill the tranny, the 4T60E has a blowout valve on top of the bell housing and WILL leak out of this. Also, get your ECM scanned somewhere and if you get the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) code, your transmission is probably shot. You won't be able to get the code(s) yourself unless you have the right equipment, which is highly unlikely.

aap787s
06-29-2004, 09:11 AM
I did have the car running in park while I checked the fluid. It only had about 1/2 inch of fluid on dipstick & it was brownish. When I added fluid I only added enough to reach the hashmarks & it showed as pink. I have added about a quart over the past few days (Friday to Monday). But thanks for the extra info I am going to have someone look at it this week sometime. Any other possiblities like a hose, vacuum line or something less traumatic?

Ruley73
06-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Yes, a bad vacuum modulator may be to blame. There should be a vacuum line going from your intake plenum to your tranny, just under the air filter housing. The vacuum modulator is the part that is bolted on the transmission that the hose goes to. Remove the modulator and if any tranny fluid leaks out of the vacuum hose side then it is bad and needs to be replaced ASAP. They cost about $15 or less. I hope this helps. :)

Add your comment to this topic!