J30 Odometer stops working

ksmith
06-28-2004, 08:18 PM
My 1997 J30 odometer stopped working. It will start up every once in a while for about 3 to 6 miles and then stop again. The speedometer and tachometer work fine. Any suggestions?

raghu_kotha
10-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Did you find out the reason? You had a chance to repair it? If so how much it cost you? I have 95 j30 and it is happening the same to me. Recently from the last 2 months it stopeed completely.

I appreciate your suggessions.

dgelfuso
10-13-2004, 11:27 PM
I think I am having the same problem. Can anyone help with a fix or cost to fix?

benzo512
11-22-2004, 04:06 PM
I have an extra instrument cluster that is working very good. All bulbs work, and I think the odometer has 164K on it.

Let me know if you are interested.

C

ashleywat
11-24-2004, 04:02 PM
The first place to check is the vehicle speed sensor, in my experience the symptom you described usually is this sensor on its way out. This sensor electronically generates a signal for the speedometer, essentially it drives the speedometer. Easily located and replace on the side of the tranny. Hope this helps

dgelfuso
11-24-2004, 05:35 PM
The speedometer works fine, it is the odometer that has stopped.

ashleywat
11-24-2004, 06:29 PM
sorry about that, read ur post wrong....2 main things this could be--1-loose connection at the odometer gear, which is right behind the readout. 2-a lot of times when this starts to go wacky some of the teeth on the drive gear have become old and brittle and they shear off. Either way, pretty much a pain to get behind there. Good luck if you give it a try. Let me know the outcome.

ksmith
12-10-2004, 08:25 AM
I am still having this problem. Any one fiqure it out? One thing I did notice is that the odometer works when the Temperature is cold. During the summer it rarely worked, but now that winter is setting in it works every morning until the car gets warm?

dgelfuso
01-09-2005, 12:29 AM
I fixed mine by completely dismantling the cluster down to the odometer motor. I then lubed the motor through the gear with WD40 and it has been working for a week as good as new. It isn't easy and requires soldering but I am now a pro after taking it apart so many times trying different things. If you want me to do it, I would do it for $50 plus all shipping costs. Let me know by emailing gelfuso@adelphia.net

Add your comment to this topic!