Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need input on trans service(or lack of)

George G.
06-28-2004, 03:38 PM
My 99 Rodeo, V6; auto, now has 113,xxx miles on it. I've managed to never change the trans fluid (stupid me). My question is, going back to old-school, when someone changed the trans fluid for the 1st time in say 100K miles, it was almost a guarantee that the trans will start slipping within a few hundred miles thereafter...something about the fluid "gumming up" to where it actually aided the clutches "friction" or "grabbing" and fresh-new fluid didn't do that. I wanted to see what everyone thinks. I'm not in a position to have to replace the transmission (if this were to happen). Should I just check and fill the fluid and avoid the above scenario, OR change the filter and fluid now anyway?

Thanks.

I hate that I tend to put things off. I've got to do the brakes (front and rear), fuel filter, trans service, rear diff and spark plugs.

Dober89
06-28-2004, 05:20 PM
I would never not do the trans service just because youve over shot the regular intervals. I dont see how it can make things any worse.

amigo-2k
06-28-2004, 05:25 PM
I think your train of thought is correct for your situation. I would have the tanny pan dropped and the filter replace and then have that fluid that came out (3.5-4qts) replaced. I think your tranny holds about 9qts. So hopefully a partial swap will help keep the tranny gremins away. Make sure you don't have it flushed, you really need to get that filter replaced.

As of some other general maintaince things check out my FAQ link below.

-Ryan

rodeo02
06-29-2004, 04:54 AM
I would have the tanny pan dropped and the filter replace and then have that fluid that came out (3.5-4qts) replaced.... -Ryan

Right on. Don't do more than a pan drop/filter change initially. If after a few thousand miles your tranny is still doing fine, then an ATF fluid swap should help the unit last longer. Usually it's a neglected, high mileage unit, starting to have problems that will fail on fresh ATF. If they are performing OK, they usually hold up to a partial ATF swap.
G/luck
Joel

George G.
06-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll go with the tranny service, not the flush. I also forgot to add that I have to replace the stock shocks, t-belt and a coolant flush to my list. It still runs great considering my lack of maintenance. Oil changes are regular, I changed the plugs around 40K and the rear diff around the same time.

George G.
06-27-2005, 01:27 PM
Well, the tranny gremlins paid me a visit. :rolleyes: I serviced it around 113K and I'm now at 124K. Tranny gave out a couple weeks ago. :disappoin Probably my fault for slacking on the maintenance. I wasn't in a position to pull it myself to save a few bucks so I had it repaired at a local shop. Cost me 1900 bucks. :mad: Metal was in the pan, they said the planetaries were gone but wasn't sure what caused the failure. It would make this diesel sound in park/neutral, then got worse but once it hit O/D, it would go away till I came to a stop. Live and learn I guess.

NOTE TO SELF: Perform scheduled maintenance.

iskiuskiweski
06-28-2005, 12:33 PM
This scares me. My truck had 100k on it when I bought it and I don't know the history or if it was taken care of before I bought it. I have been wanting to this tranny service to mine as well but I am afraid of this very situation. I am thinking I may be better off not doing and taking my chances, but I think it is a gamble in either direction. I need some words of encouragement here from some people that haven't had this happen to them.

I have had this happen in previous vehicles with auto tranny's before. Which doesn't help my confidence in performing this service.

I use my truck to tow a boat with, a small boat, but a boat no less, so I don't want my tranny failling on me on the road to the lake when I am in the middle of nowhere. What to do, what to do??

amigo-2k
06-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Have you ever drained out a couple of onces to see what color it is? Drain it into a clear tupperware and then you can compare it to new tranny fluid in another peice of tupperware.

iskiuskiweski
06-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Have you ever drained out a couple of onces to see what color it is? Drain it into a clear tupperware and then you can compare it to new tranny fluid in another peice of tupperware.

Good idea! I will have to give this a try, got a long weekend comming up maybe if the weather cooperates I will try, been wanting to check the fuild level anyway.

Add your comment to this topic!